8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2009 2:29 PM by TSGal

Yahoo in web viewer

synergy46

Title

Yahoo in web viewer

I am running FM 10.3.03 in OSX 10.6 Snowleopard.

My app has a field called STOCK::symbl which has the security symbol; ie, Apple's symbol is AAPL.

I created a web viewer in it's own layout that works to provide the Yahoo chart for the first stock .... AAPL but as I 

got to each successive stock, the web viewer does NOT reflect the new stock.  For example, if I

click on the next stock in the Stocks table and go to BAC (Bank America -ugh) the web viewer 

stays stuck on AAPL.

How do I get the web viewer to reflect the "CURRENT" stock symbol?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Yahoo in web viewer
          raybaudi
             "http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=" & Stock::symbl
          • 2. Re: Yahoo in web viewer
            synergy46

Besides putting a 'next' and 'previous' button on the bottom of the web viewer, is there a way to get it to show the

Yahoo finance quote for a stock as the navigation on a different layout (based on the same table) changes.???

• 3. Re: Yahoo in web viewer
              mrvodka
                 Could you elaborate?
              • 4. Re: Yahoo in web viewer
                synergy46

Elaboration:

I have a table called Stocks.

It has a field calle symbl

I have a layout based on Stocks called INPUT.  

I created a layout called WebViewer which is also based on STOCKS

I put this formula into the Custom Web Viewer "http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=" & Stock::symbl

When I view the Web Viewer layout it shows the first STOCK symbl.

If, from INPUT I navigate to the 2nd field which shows Stock::Symbl = BAC, the WebViewer layout

still shows the first STOCK.

If I put "next' "previous' buttons in the footer of the Web Viewer Layout, it successfully navigates 

and shows the appropriate web page for the selected stock.

What I want is for the stock in INPUT to automatically show in the web viewer; so I don't have to 

press the 'next' 'previous' buttons in the footer of the web viewer.

Is there a way to do this?

thanks

• 5. Re: Yahoo in web viewer
                  mrvodka

Well those are two seperate layouts and windows so you can not do it that way. Each window has its own independant found set and record navigation. What you will have to do is script it so that as you navigate through your INPUT layout, it set a global text field with your stock symbol.

"http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=" & Stock::gStockSymbol

• 6. Re: Yahoo in web viewer
                    synergy46

Well those are two seperate layouts and windows so you can not do it that way. Each window has its own independant found set and record navigation. What you will have to do is script it so that as you navigate through your INPUT layout, it set a global text field with your stock symbol.

"http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=" & Stock::gStockSymbol

=========

Above is the INPUT Layout

Thanks for the reply.  I created another global text field in STOCKS called gStockSymbol.   I applied "http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=" & Stock::gStockSymbol to the web viewer.  I got an error where it asked for the symbol.  So, I next changed the gStockSymbol to a global CALCULATED field.  This produced 'a' stock symbol but it again fails to change the symbol in the Web Viewer when the INPUT layout symbol is changed.  Where am I going wrong?

Below is the Web Viewer Layout  Notice how in INPUT the selected stock is AAPL but in the web viewer,WFC shows??

ron

• 7. Re: Yahoo in web viewer
                      mrvodka

Sorry I cant see these images due to firewall block. :-(

Hopefully someone else will be able to pick it up from here.

• 8. Re: Yahoo in web viewer
                        TSGal

synergy46:

Thank you for your post.

It appears gStockSymbol is not being changed in your script.  Please display your script that changes the value in gStockSymbol.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.