3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2010 11:43 AM by philmodjunk

Year to date tuition total

prez1385

Title

Year to date tuition total

I am using File Maker Pro 10 on Windows XP professional. I am trying to create a year to date total of tuition paid to a Martial Arts school. The summary function works find for an overall total, but I need a subtotal for this calendar year. Any thoughts? TIA.

• 1. Re: Year to date tuition total
          philmodjunk

You can do this in a summary report by either finding only records from the current year or by sorting by year to get yearly sub totals.

If you don't want a summary report, you can use the sum function in a calculation field with a relationship that only matches to other records for the same year (and you may need other fields, if this is just for one student for the year.)

• 2. Re: Year to date tuition total
            prez1385

Phil,

Thanks for the quick response. I probably didn't explain well (or don't understand how to use your suggestion). What I have is a page with a payment history table. At the bottom is a field which contains a summary of all payments. What I'd like to do is to have another field, next to it, that shows the payments made for the current calendar year.

All this is happening in form view and so, naturally, appears on each individual's record. If your answer addresses this, please explain how I can use it. I'm not quite seeing it. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Year to date tuition total
              philmodjunk

This part of my earlier post is applicable:

"...you can use the sum function in a calculation field with a relationship that only matches to other records for the same year (and you may need other fields, if this is just for one student for the year.)"

Exactly how you do this depends on how you've structured your database.

"I have is a page with a payment history table. At the bottom is a field which contains a summary of all payments." "All this is happening in form view"

I can't tell exactly what you have here. A form view of one student record with a portal of payment records? Or something else?

Please describe the tables and relationships you've set to do this.

In the meantime, here's a bit more in general terms:

Presumably you have a date field that records the date of each payment. A calculation field such as Year (PaymentDate) will extract the calendar year for each payment record. If you set up a relationship that includes matching this calculation to a number field with a specific year (such as 2010), you can use the sum function to total up all the payments for that year. You could also use a calculation field with Year ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) to match to the earlier calculation field to get all payment records for payments made during the current year.