AnsweredAssumed Answered

Youth Club, Courses and Sessions

Question asked by BillyWilliams on Apr 19, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 by BillyWilliams

Title

Youth Club, Courses and Sessions

Hello,

I have volunteered to help a local youth club keep track of its activity. (This was on the very thin basis that I am the only person they know who has a little computer knowledge, as I happen to use a bit of MS Excel in my day job.)

I thought the activity could be kept on an Excel spreadsheet, which I could do. However, its now obvious that Excel is not enough, and the only other option is to use FileMaker Pro 11.

This leaves me in a bit of pickle, as I have offered my help, but am a bit out of my depth. 

The youth club runs Courses, such as Football, Music and Judo.

Each course usually consists of about 8 Sessions.

Most Sessions are free, but for some there is a £1 charge.

All the club want is to keep track of which kids are booked on each Course and their Session attendance.

As I am a complete novice at this I am trying to keep the database as simple as possible for my own benefit.

I am trying to keep the number of Tables and Relationships as small as possible.

I know I will need tables for Youths, Courses, Sessions and some sort of table which is a blend of all three.

Before I dive in I would appreciate any advice as what to aim for.

I am thinking of having two main layouts for viewing and editing the data.
(I will try and attach pictures of the these to this post)

1) Layout showing Youth and related Courses/Sessions

2) Layout showing Course and related Sessions/Youths

In both of these layouts I would like to be able to update the related information.

My questions are:

(a) Are my layouts the best way to approach this task?

(b) Would there be a better layout taking into account this is my first attempt at FileMaker?

I would prefer to use the built in features of FileMaker rather than get into lots of programming scripts. (Even if that means the database is ‘clunky’ in parts.)

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thank you,

Billy

Layouts.jpg

Outcomes