6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2012 6:10 AM by JAB

Calculate Min, Max, Sum across several records (rows) from a single field (column)

JAB

Title

Calculate Min, Max, Sum across several records (rows) from a single field (column)

Hi,

I'm new to FileMaker Pro and am trying to to figure out if there is a way to calculate the minimum of data listed in several records (rows) and in one field (column) without summarizing the data?

For example I have the following data:

Field 1

Each number is a different record (or row) in under Field 1 in the database.  I want Field 2 to calculate and display the group minium of the five numbers in Field 1 (6, 3, 5, 8, 2).  When I set Field 2's type to calculate and enter "Min(Field 1)" into the Specify Calculation Window FileMaker Pro gives me the following numbers listed in Field 2:

Field 1 Field 2
      6 6
      3 3
      5 5
      8 8
      2 2

Basically, FileMaker Pro is finding the mimimum of each record (row) in Field 1 and gives me that answer in Field 2 (i.e., it is treating each record in Field 1 individually not as a group). 

I want my database to look like this:

Field 1 Field 2

3 2
      5 2
      8 2
      2 2

Again, I would like to do this without using Summary Field Options (I want to keep Field 2 as a calculation field).  Eventually, adding other fields with the maxium and summation of the five numbers listed in Field 1 (i.e., max = 8 and the sum = 24).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!