4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2011 9:27 AM by philmodjunk

Copying a remote database to local

EltonHo

Title

Copying a remote database to local

Hi all,

How can I copy the whole remote database to local so that I can still get access to the database (snapshot) offline?

Thanks,

Elton

• 1. Re: Copying a remote database to local
          Kays

heyy,

i think u could do it by File-->Save a Copy As, ( when ur file is open ) 

do that to every file u'v got.

K|Z

• 2. Re: Copying a remote database to local
            philmodjunk

Save a Copy as is disabled when the file is hosted by Filemaker server as is likely the case here.

You'll need to gain access to a closed copy of the file (Not currently open by FileMaker or FileMaker Server), such as a backup copy generated by server and then you can download that copy to your local machine.

I'd treat this copy as "read only" as any changes you make will not show in the hosted copy, of course.

• 3. Re: Copying a remote database to local
              EltonHo

Hi,

You mentioned that I can try to access the closed copy and download a copy to my local machine, in this case, my iPad with FileMaker Go. How? Pls. elaborate more.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Elton

• 4. Re: Copying a remote database to local
                philmodjunk

I don't have an iOS device such as an iPad so I haven't done this myself. You can ask about this in the FM GO Forum or research past posts on the subject there.

As I understand it, you can use the iTunes application to move files to and from your FM GO Device. If the database is hosted by FileMaker Server, you may have problems gaining access to the closed backup file unless you set up a utility of one type or another to move the most recent back up copy into a shared directory that iTunes can "see" inorder for you to load the copy on your iOS device.