2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2010 10:25 AM by mezzosoprano

Copying fields from old database to new upgraded database

mezzosoprano

Title

Copying fields from old database to new upgraded database

Newbie here, but have used FM on a Mac since 2.0!

I have a developer solution (8 databases working as one system) which needs upgrading as it currently runs on FM7 under OS10.4.11 Power PC, and uses an old Troi File plug-in. I'm moving to FM9 or FM10 on the Tiger machine and on a new Snow Leopard machine, and the new OS10.6 compatible Troi plug-in requires some rescripting work, hence the upgrade.

I have extended and added to the original solution considerably, includes new files, fields, scripts, new relationships, the lot. 

The upgrade from the developer, however, comes as a stand-alone replacement, which means I need to find a way to take all my 'extras' that I've added to various databases across into the new upgrade. Two solutions have been suggested:

1. That I can copy and paste the fields from old version straight into the new upgrade, but will need to manually update value lists and relationships, and then just copy and paste my old layouts. Main issue is, can I copy and paste fields like this in FM10 Pro?

2. That I take the old, customised version of the file, strip out all the elemnst that will existin the upgarde, and save the rest (i.e. all my extras) as a new file. I would then simply copy and paste my old layouts in the new upgrade, define a new relationship, and click on each 'old' field name to make it relational (::filename).

As far as I can judge, the advantage of solution 1 is, if it works, it's quick. The advantage of solution 2 is that it is 'future upgrade proof', so long as I add any new fields I want into this extras file.

Any advice much appreciated - apologies for the rather layman terms; a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

• 1. Re: Copying fields from old database to new upgraded database
          philmodjunk

Yes you can copy and paste field definitions from one filemaker Pro 10 table to another. If it's a calculation that references a missing item, you'll have some more work to do. Such problem calculation fields end up enclosed in /* comment */ brackets so you can fix the missing references and then remove the brackets.

If I follow your descriptions correctly, it sounds like option 1 is good for adding new fields to an existing table and option 2 is good if you can structure your database so that your modified fields are all part of a separate related table.

• 2. Re: Copying fields from old database to new upgraded database
            mezzosoprano

Thanks, Phil - glad the copy and paste will work! Having taken a quick look at the file with the most modifications, it has one table in it, and most of the field calculations are 'internal' - i.e. they only access fields I would be copying into the table, so that would cut down my work considerably.

I've just had a look at the relationships graph, and again I only have 7 or 8 relationships that I have created, so not too arduous. 

Value lists are simple as I can copy and paste the contents - unless you know a better way!

Then, fingers crossed, I can import my scripts - can I select only a few scripts to import, and not all of them?

Given the time stripping out an old file might take, it looks as if the first option is good for me.

Not quite the seemless upgrade to a new Mac I was hoping for, but hey...!