5 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2009 10:39 AM by Mhicks

Copying from Table to Table

Mhicks

Title

Copying from Table to Table

I have the same layout in 2 dif. tables and now one doesn't work any more. In one layout about 1/2 of the field definitions it tells me <table missing>. To fix this is it possible to copy a layout from one table and paste into a different table without losing the field definitions? The field definitions have already been defined in both tables.

• 1. Re: Copying from Table to Table
          raybaudi
             While in Layout Mode double click each <table missing> field and choose for them a pertinent field name.
          • 2. Re: Copying from Table to Table
            mrvodka

I think you may have this idea backwards in your head. Layouts are based on Table Occurrences. Here is kind of the order.

File

Table

Table Occurrence ( instance representation of the table )

Layout( based off the TO )

I have the same layout in 2 dif. tables and now one doesn't work any more. In one layout about 1/2 of the field definitions it tells me <table missing>. To fix this is it possible to copy a layout from one table and paste into a different table without losing the field definitions? The field definitions have already been defined in both tables.

• 3. Re: Copying from Table to Table
              Mhicks
                 Thank you. I know how to double click each field and apply the correct field name. I was looking for a shortcut due to the fact that my layout has many, many field on it and will take quite some time to reassign the field names. Any other suggestions? 
              • 4. Re: Copying from Table to Table
                philmodjunk

Do the two tables have matching fields with the same names?

If so, Copy your original layout, then enter Manage database to change the names of your two tables so that table 1 has the name for table 2 and table 2 now has the name for table 1. Now paste your copied layout objects onto a layout set to reference table 2. Once you've pasted the layout, you can switch your table names back.

This will only work if field 1 in  table 1 has the same name as field 2 in table 2. If that's not the case, you've got to do as already suggested and reset each field to point to the correct table and field on at a time.

• 5. Re: Copying from Table to Table
                  Mhicks
                     Yes both tables have matching fields with the same names. I will try your suggestion and let you know how it goes. Thank you