1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 8:23 AM by philmodjunk

Copying individual records b/t databases, organizing by type [using buttons]

dman6332

Title

Copying individual records b/t databases, organizing by type [using buttons]

<Edit> I forgot to add that I'm using Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.<Edit>

I've combed the forums and the support section, and nothing pops out at me as a solution to my problem, so here goes:

I am building a submissions database for the production company I work for. I have built a database, called Submissions, into which all of the data of every script/project the company has will be entered.  I need to build a separate database called the Weekend Read, which will only contain the projects which the company currently has in consideration or active.

What I am trying to do is create a button that, when pressed, would export a single record from the Submissions database and send it to the Weekend Read database. Then I would like to create a button in the Weekend Read that would delete that single record when the company is done with it.  This way, when one of my bosses asks to, say, move a project to Active Development from Paused Development, I can just go to the record, click a button, and be done with it.  Then, on Friday, everything is already neatly organized for printing.  Please help!

PS. is there a way to do this without creating a separate database? (like making multiple layouts on a single database and restricting what data appears in each layout)

• 1. Re: Copying individual records b/t databases, organizing by type [using buttons]
          philmodjunk

"Is there a way to do this without creating a separate database? (like making multiple layouts on a single database and restricting what data appears in each layout)"

This is what you want to do instead of moving records in and out of a second database--though there's a better way to control access than using different layouts.

Add a text field, SubmissionStatus, use a value list to store values in this field such as Pending, Active.

Now to make a newly submitted project "Active" you simply change the record's status from "Pending" to "Active". You can perform finds to pull up just those records of the status you want to see. You can use Access Privileges to restrict access to records of a given status to users who log in with a password that uses a specified privilege set. This is called "record locking" and if you click the advanced search link above and enter that phrase, you'll find several threads that discuss this method.