1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2010 11:45 AM by philmodjunk

Copying layout to an unrelated table in the same database

npardo@taboracademy.org

Title

Copying layout to an unrelated table in the same database

Hello all, 

First time posting here so thanks in advance for any answers you might have. Using FM 8.5 Advanced, I have a database for a summer program with information on each camper. The last two years, I have a created a new table in the same database file by exporting the information from the original table into a new table (I need to access this information during the year). I then duplicated a layout from table 1 and had it look for information from table 2. I thought the fields would simply convert to the one in table 2 as it is the same information. Yet, I still have to click on every field on my layout in table 2 and change where the field looks for information under the field/control setup. Is there a way for the new layout to point to the new table for information?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Copying layout to an unrelated table in the same database
          philmodjunk

To answer the specific question, you can rename the table occurrence name of your new table in manage | database to that of the table occurrence from which you imported the data (you'd have to rename or delete the original table occurrence first). This is likely to create new problems even as it solves the current one.

Two options to consider:

1. Save a clone (no records) of your file and import your data into this clone. Then you have no layouts to duplicate, you can just use the new file.
          2. Don't do this at all. There are options for working with your data that should make this kind of "make a new table every year" type of task completely unecessary.