3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2010 12:49 PM by philmodjunk

Copying layouts, including layout attributes and part definitions, between separate files?

CarlaS

Title

Copying layouts, including layout attributes and part definitions, between separate files?

Is there a way to copy layouts, including layout attributes and part definitions, between separate files?

Or, when importing the files, is there a way to import layouts from one file to another?

I am migrating from a multi-file solution with relational database sto a single-file solution with multiple tables.  I have already combined all of the files into one file and am now copying the layouts into the new file.  I would like to be able to copy the layouts with the layout attributes and part definitions in tact.  Is there a way to do this?

Carla

BACKGROUND INFO:

We are using Filemaker Pro 10 Advanced and Filemaker Server 10 Advanced. Filemaker Server Advanced is running on a Windows PC server. We have about 25 Filemaker client users (both Mac & PC). We also have non-Filemaker client users for employees company wide to access a couple of layouts via Custom Web Publishing. Our company has been using this Filemaker database since 1998. I personally have been using Filemaker since the late 1980’s when it was called Claris Works. We just recently upgraded from Filemaker 5 to Filemaker 10 and are in the process of a major overhaul of the entire database. Records in the main table represent individual marketing jobs (usually print jobs - i.e. brochure, forms book, mailer, etc.). Then, we have about 18 related tables for tracking various aspects of a job through the production schedule, from job initiation to completion. It tracks milestone due dates, design specs, licensing information, inventory, distribution, costs, etc.

• 1. Re: Copying layouts, including layout attributes and part definitions, between separate files?
          david583

Hi Carla,

I have done a bit of this recently as I was transferring layouts from an old file to a new one. It's a bit tedious with the amount of layouts you have so there may be an easier way, I'm just not aware of it.

1. Original Layout, go to layout mode, select all and copy.

2. Open new file, go to creat new layout (blank)

3. On new layout in layout mode, right click menu gives the option of 'paste layout object(s)'.

4. Select table in new file the layout is related to from layout mode of the new layout.

Once pasted and resized it will still have all the attributes of the original layout including scripts, tool tips, formatting etc.

The tedious part is you may have to go through the fields on the layout to make sure they are part of the new table as the 'specify field' dialog will probably show [unknown] or the original table name where the new table name should be. I have not found a way out of this so if anyone else has an idea there is at least two people interested.

:smileywink:

David

• 2. Re: Copying layouts, including layout attributes and part definitions, between separate files?
            CarlaS

Hi David,

Yes, this is what I have been doing.  This method does copy all of the layout objects.  I do not have the issue of tediously going through the fields as I created my new file using the exact same relationship names and field names as the old files, so once I paste the fields, the field names match up with the new file without any trouble.

The tedious part for me is that I still have to manually create part definitions, re-size the parts, then move the layout objects to fit within each of the parts.  Some of my layouts are very complicated with headers, bodies, multiple sub-summaries, trailing grand summaries and footers.  This is very tedious!!  I was hoping there was a way to copy the part definitions and part sizes along with the layout objects. 

I have researched the knowlege base and I don't think copying part definitions is possible but was hoping someone out there had an easier way to do this.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Carla 

• 3. Re: Copying layouts, including layout attributes and part definitions, between separate files?
              philmodjunk
                 I haven't used it myself, but you might want to google FMMigrator. This is supposed to be a tool that makes this task much easier.