AnsweredAssumed Answered

Copying multiple records from a parent to child table based on given field value

Question asked by wren on Apr 14, 2011
Latest reply on Apr 15, 2011 by LaRetta_1

Title

Copying multiple records from a parent to child table based on given field value

I'm hoping someone can help with this. I'm using Filemaker 9 and am having trouble figuring out how to create copies of a record from one table, based on the number of one of the fields, in another table. So, I have 2 tables, 1 parent and 1 child. The parent has the fields: date, time, species, location, and number observed. The child has all of the same fields except instead of NumberObserved it has Individual (which will always be 1). I've also created an auto-entered serial identifier through filemaker, which is how I've joined the tables. Using the value from the 'number observed' field, I want to create that number of copies of the record from the parent table in the child table (all fields except # of individuals). In case my description is confusing: 

Parent

Date Time Species  Location NumberObserved UniqueID

4/5/2000 15:00 coyo fieldA 3 1

Child

Date Time Species Location Individual Unique ID

4/5/2000 15:00 coyo fieldA  1 1

4/5/2000 15:00 coyo fieldA 1 1

4/5/2000 15:00 coyo fieldA 1 1

I'm having difficulty implementing a one-to-many function based on the value in NumberObserved.

Any help that you could provide would be much appreciated. 

Outcomes