3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2010 12:38 PM by RickWhitelaw

COPYING RECORDS FROM ONE DATABASE TO ANOTHER

Loren

Title

COPYING RECORDS FROM ONE DATABASE TO ANOTHER

I wanted to avoid retyping a client's data from last year.

Simple need, right? Well, I managed to wipe out my 2010 invoice database.

By trying to import one **bleep** record from my 2009 to 2010 I managed to wipe out all my 2010 records.

I exported what I thought was a single record as FileMaker Pro format and named it.

I imported that into my cirrent database.

Guys... I am not a newbie, but I couldn;t find a simple way to do it. I should not have to hit the manual for this.

After all these years, does anyone test what real users need here?

• 1. Re: COPYING RECORDS FROM ONE DATABASE TO ANOTHER
          RickWhitelaw

Without wanting to "rub salt in the wound" I would say that "real users" need to back up their files. Are you sure there isn't a backup somewhere that you can restore? Another thing you may want to think about is why you would have a different database for each year.

The import settings have to be used carefully to avoid losing data. I've had it happen, but that's why I back up, especially before any import operation.

Good luck.

RW

• 2. Re: COPYING RECORDS FROM ONE DATABASE TO ANOTHER
            comment_1

Loren wrote:

By trying to import one **bleep** record from my 2009 to 2010 I managed to wipe out all my 2010 records.

I don't see how that's possible - importing cannot delete records. You say you are not a newbie - is it possible you are not aware that after importing only the imported records are in the found set?

• 3. Re: COPYING RECORDS FROM ONE DATABASE TO ANOTHER
              RickWhitelaw

Comment wrote:

"I don't see how that's possible - importing cannot delete records. You say you are not a newbie - is it possible you are not aware that after importing only the imported records are in the found set?"

Of course that's got to be it! When I wrote "I've had it happen" it was a long time ago and I think I was "fooled" by the same issue . . . the found set. When I really think on it, many times I make a design change it requires importing, and I've done it dozens of times without incident.

I hope the OP selects Show All and sees all the records.

RW