AnsweredAssumed Answered

Copying related records from one portal to another

Question asked by crcampbell on May 11, 2009
Latest reply on Apr 26, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Copying related records from one portal to another

I've been using Filemaker for over a year, but I'm still new to scripting and am having trouble getting related records from one portal on a layout to copy to another portal on the same layout. Here are the details:

The main layout has several tabs for customer contact info, vendor info, quoted items and ordered items. On the items tab is a portal (portal A for this discussion) for entering multiple items in a related table (relation is the quote # in the main table to a quote # field in the quoted items table) with fields for part number, description, price each, quantity, and a calculation field for item subtotal. Also, I currently have a simple pop-up menu field with Yes/No to designate if an item is being ordered. What I am trying to do is to copy the quoted items in portal A to a similar portal (same fields minus the pop-up menu in a separate ordered items table) on the Ordered items tab through a scripted button or script trigger on the pop-up menu. Another factor is that this database is going to end up being published thru IWP so importing/exporting doesn't look to be available. Is there a way to set relationships or what scripting could I try to get the records copied over? I have not had much luck getting the loop command to run through each portal row for copy and paste purposes so any help there would be appreciated as well. I have been able to get the related records sorted, just not copied over to the ordered items table.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Outcomes