1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 20, 2010 10:50 AM by philmodjunk

Copying some data from one specific record into a record of a different table

MarcCalders

Title

Copying some data from one specific record into a record of a different table

Hello,

I need to the data from one layout (2 tables as layout + portal) into 2 different tables by changing the name which links them together.

Example :

Table 1 : "Recipe", data: pancakes

Table 2 : "Recipe ingredients", data1: flour 100g, data 2 : sugar 50g, data 3 : milk : 500cl, ...

Should become

Table 3 : "RD Recipe", data: copy of pancakes

Table 4 : "RD Recipe ingredients", data1: flour 100g, data 2 : sugar 50g, data 3 : milk : 500cl, ...

I've no idea how to do this in FM Pro; I've tried duplicate record (but doesn't allow me to change the data), import / export (don't want to change all data) and how to approach the portal information.

Thanks for anwering this issue,

Marc

• 1. Re: Copying some data from one specific record into a record of a different table
          philmodjunk

When you say data 1, data 2, data 3... are you referring to rows or columns in your portal? (They read like you are describing columns ( Fields ) when you really should have rows here for a more flexible control of your related records in the portal.)

Import Records will do the job, the trick is to perform a find or other operation that pulls up a found set or just the records you want imported to the other file, then use Import Records to import this found set. Import Records has a lot of options and can result in major changes to the records in your database, so make backups just before doing this until you are confident it is working correctly.

On another note, why are you copying records from one table to another? Often, new users attempt this approach to managing their data when a simpler approach that keeps all the records in their original tables will work better. Thus, it's possible that theres a better approach available here.