4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2011 9:00 AM by Nikki59

Copying Tables, Copying Fields in FMPRO 11

Nikki59

Title

Copying Tables, Copying Fields in FMPRO 11

Gosh I'm sure hoping I'm missing something with my new Filemaker Software....

I can't seem to copy fields in a table and paste them back in the same table.  Would like to copy an "address1" then paste to make an "address2" with the only mod being the '2'. Would also like to duplicate entire tables.

I was horrified to read somewhere maybe this cannot be done in FM Pro but only FM Pro Advanced ?!?  Surely this cannot be !

As I understand it now, the work required to create three buttons in a table layout would require hand-building the entire list of fields two more times just to change one letter or number in each field name.  That could take hours, and possibly generate lots of buggy errors.

I read the 'comparisons' page between FMPRO and FMPRO ADV this was as close as it came regarding the issue:

Build or modify databases faster by importing multiple tables at once.   Not really on point. Such a glaring feature difference must be listed.

I'm so unfamiliar with Filemaker 11 from previous versions that included this.  Please say it isn't so !

• 1. Re: Copying Tables, Copying Fields in FMPRO 11
          philmodjunk

You can always select a field in Manage | Database | Fields and then click the duplicate button. You'll still need to edit the field name, but that's as close as you can get in FileMaker Pro--though you can copy and paste the field name rather than the field, then add the 2 and this may be more than adequate for simple data fields where you don't have a calculation or bunch of field options you need to replicate.

You can duplicate an entire table in FileMaker Pro by using Import Records. when you select a target table for this import, you select the new option. Some calculation fields, if they refer to fields in related tables, will have their expressions enclosed in comment brackets until you open and edit them so that they will work as part of the new table and any relationships that you have created for it.

Note: if you find you need to create a series of fields with the same name and field options execpt for an added number, there's a good chance that you should be using a related table of records where each such field is part of a different related record instead.

• 2. Re: Copying Tables, Copying Fields in FMPRO 11
            Nikki59

Ohhh Dude you've calmed me down.  All I found online was a big 'copy' button for the fields in Pro Advanced and I freaked.  Nothing returns in the in-app help, or the forum.  Your workaround is slower but will save hours and errors.

I assume I can create a template table then use it to duplicate 'housekeeping' fields by using the 'import new option' using the original table as the template.  Should save more time.

This all started when I started building tabs.  Customer, Shipping, Billing.  '1 or 2' was just a shorthand for fields like 'address' 'address_s' 'address_b' in the tabs. 

Is there a better way of doing this with a related table ? 

Would it be beneficial to create a new table using 'import as new option' from my initial customer table then change the names ?  Seems would complicate my relationship graph, but would do it if you think it's important.

Thanks again

• 3. Re: Copying Tables, Copying Fields in FMPRO 11
              philmodjunk

I can't really answer your questions without having a more complete picture of what you are doing. Address, address_s, address_b represent what (besides three different addresses) in your database?

This does look like something you might handle better with a related table of addresses, but don't know enough about your database to be sure.

• 4. Re: Copying Tables, Copying Fields in FMPRO 11
                Nikki59

I can't really answer your questions without having a more complete  picture of what you are doing. Address, address_s, address_b represent  what (besides three different addresses) in your database?

Unique address for Home, Billing and Shipping each in a tab.  Illustrative, really doing something else but this is parallel and standard enough so as not to overwhelm the post with details.

I'll consider an 'address' related table to meet these needs. Thank you very much for the insight and the help of copying tables through import.