3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2014 2:43 PM by philmodjunk

Copying text also copies hidden formatting. How to stop this?

JamesFreudenburg

Title

Copying text also copies hidden formatting. How to stop this?

I feel like a newb, but have been using FileMaker since version 5 or so. I was happy with Filemaker Pro 11, but suddenly my new Macbook Air would not work with 11.  I only use Filemaker for one thing, keeping a recipe database that goes back many years.

I usually will find a recipe online, and use copy and paste to created a new record in my recipe database.  I know using Filemker is WAY overkill, but it works well and I hate to change.

Used to work fine. The exact text would copy to the new recipe file. I would usually have to select "Remove Formatting" to get rid of some funky text formats, but no biggie.

But NOW, when I paste some text (this from the NY Times Recipe section) I get all their hidden formatting, such as:

/.related-article

/.topnote

Espresso, Simple Syrup

Be the first to rate:

/.recipe-metadata

/.recipe-topnote-metadata

/.intro

All the stuff with the slash in front of it has to be selected and deleted. It is not visible, of course, in the original recipe article.  Takes time and I never had to do it before. Is there some way to tell the copy and paste function to just copy the visible text, not the invisible formatting?

Thanks!