9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2013 2:20 PM by philmodjunk

Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced

StuckAgain

Title

Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced

Several years ago a Tech Guru at FMP HQ helped resolve some issues for a label layout & printing issue.  Unfortunately, telephone support is no longer available for FMP v8.0 Advanced.  There was also a special "Counter" field (hidden) that was set up to make things work correctly.

I hadn't used FMP for labels in several years, but found am now in need to do over a thousand labels, and made some simple mods to also print on a different size label. 

In a nutshell, the labels is for Ham Radio contact information to go on the back of postcards, and the data for the labels is sorted by individual Callsign since some labels contain multiple contacts so only one label per callsign is printed.

This time I will be importing only 7 short fields of data from a .csv file instead of from a different file format with various Calculation formulas needed, and get the data OK, but in Preview Mode some of the column (field) data is missing for multiple contact entries tied to the main Callsign field.

Attached is a screenshot showing (in this example) of the top part of the label how some data is missing - in this case from the Mhz column and the Special Note column (but the data is in the .csv file fileds imported).

Hopefully someone experienced can look at the actual .fp7  and the small .csv file.  I'm hoping to get the current issues resolved for an immediate need, and to be able to use FMP with other similar .csv files in the future without problems .

Thanks very much for any assistance!

Regards,

Stuck Again

zlabel.jpg

• 1. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
          philmodjunk

The most likely guess is that the Mhz data is missing from the csv file. Another possibility is that there is additional, nonvisible characters such as spaces being included with the Mhz value such that the Mhz data is not visible in a field of this size. Try clicking into the mhz field in FileMaker on one of the records that's missing this data. Do you see anything pop up that did not appear before you clicked into this fiel?

• 2. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
            StuckAgain

All the Mhz data is in each entry in the .csv file:

"K5D","16 Feb 2009","0532","7","CW","599","NA-095"
                 "K5D","17 Feb 2009","0350","1.8","CW","579","NA-095"
                 "K5D","15 Feb 2009","0237","10","CW","599","NA-095"
                 "K5D","15 Feb 2009","0830","3.5","CW","599","NA-095"
                 "K5D","15 Feb 2009","1017","7","SSB","58","NA-095"
                 "K5D","14 Feb 2009","0049","14","CW","599","NA-095"
                 "K5D","14 Feb 2009","1844","21","CW","599","NA-095"

Nothing unusual when clicking in the Mhz field in FMP Browse.  But in Preview mode, the addition Special Comment field appears to be missing beyond the first one.  As I indicated before, getting this thing to work properly in the first place took an FMP HQ Tech Guru.

Tnx for your reply.

Regards,

Stuck Again

• 3. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
              philmodjunk

Yet nothing you've posted so far requires any special skill set to work with. Your csv file is very simple and should import cleanly into a fileMaker table.

"Nothing Unusual" doesn't tell me much. Am I correct that for the third line in your screen shot, (February 17), clicking into the Mhz field shows that there is no data in that field?

Two possibilities come to mind:

1.           Your layout is not displaying the data from your newly imported data from the csv file. Either the layout refers to a different table or you have a different found set of records.
              3.           The data was not correctly imported.
              • 4. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
                StuckAgain

I was gone 4 hours and came back to provide more info.  That's when this appeared after pressing the Post button:

==========

Our servers are temporarily offline

We are in the process of releasing new features
                     based on your feedback. Check back in a little
                     while for a new and improved site. Thanks for
                     your patience.

===========

I pay $99 per month for a weenie 768kbps wirelss connection in South Silly-Con Valley (the Hi-Tech Capital of the World).  The FM Forum is back up, but it takes about 30 seconds to switch between pages.  And it appears I can only upload one image at a time, so will have to make multiple postings to provide the info.

Last night I stripped the existing FMP8 file down to bare bones, and started building things up again.  I left the "Counter" field and one calculation field in place, but everything is now tied to "qsos2labels" table.  I setup a new relationship, but when I attempted to create a Portal in the label layout, both "qsos2labels" and "qsos2labels 2" are greyed out ;-(

BTW, the old file used "=" in the relationship setup, but I also tried "X" which still did not work.  I am frustrated beyond belief.

Thanks for your assistance.

Stuck Again (I should change this to:  Stuck Again, and Again, and Again !!!)

P.S. As indicated above, I may have to make multiple posts for all screenshots to upload IF the invamouse "Save" button does NOT appear again as was the case just when the FMP server crashed yesterday.  Instruction #1 says I "...may upload...files" (plural), but we shall see if this means ONLY ONE PER POST or not.

• 5. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
                  StuckAgain

My posts and screenshots are no longer showing up ;-)

• 6. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
                    StuckAgain

FINALLY, at least my last detailed post and one screenshot showed up.  It took about 5 minutes.  SOMEONE at FMP needs to give this system a giant Enema ;-(

Here (hopefully) is the "Portal Greyed Out" screenshot...

• 7. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
                      StuckAgain

Here (hopefully) is the "Define Fields" screenshot...

• 8. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
                        StuckAgain

Here (hopefully) is the "Calculation Field" screenshot...

• 9. Re: Label layout related issue in FMP v8.0 Advanced
                          philmodjunk

Did you create qsoslabels 2 on the relationships tab or on the tables tab?

On the layout where you tried to set up the portal, what do you see in Layout Setup... | "Show Records From" ?