6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2012 8:20 AM by RayBeckwith

LABEL PRINTING

RayBeckwith

Title

LABEL PRINTING

I am using Filemaker Pro 11 to keep a record of members of a charitable organisation. We use address labels and previously I have used a layout I created using Avery L7160 labels. However, when I came to print them this time (I have done so successfully 6 or 7 times in the past) the printed labels did not fit. The first label appears OK but the second and third labels (there are three across) are too far to the left of the page. Equally as one goes down the page (7 rows) the printed addresses get higher and higher within the label until towards the bottom the first line of the address is printed above the top edge of the row 7 labels.

I am sure I must have made some alteration somewhere (surely the system wouldn't change itself!) but I can't find it. I have even re-created the layout from fresh but it prints exactly the same. This happens on either of my 2 printers but other label printing software is working fine. From this I deduce that it must be Filemaker and nothing on the printers.

I am using an Intel iMac and any advice anyone can offer would be gratefully received. I should explain that I am an absolute novice on databases so simple English please.

Many thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: LABEL PRINTING
          philmodjunk

How did you create the layout? did you use the wizard where you enter the avery number for you or did you build it yourself from a blank layout?

• 2. Re: LABEL PRINTING
            RayBeckwith

I used the wizard (both times) and entered the Avery Number.

• 3. Re: LABEL PRINTING
              philmodjunk

Hmmm, the fact that columns two and three print to far to the left suggest that the specified column width for the layout is too narrow.

Go to the layout, enter layout mode. Select the printer, page size and page orientation that you will use to print these labels and then check to see what you have for a column width for your layout. You should see your layout devided into three rectangles, one for each column of labels. Your layouts should be placed all within the left hand white rectangle.

You may be able to adjust the position of the fields and you may need to specify either a small left margin in Layout Setup... | Printing or if you have such a margin specified, you may need to increase its width by a small amount.

Note: this one's odd and oft complained about, but to change the units shown for the margin settings, close the dialog box, go to the position tab in the inspector, click the units shown there until you get the ones you want, then return to the margin settings dialog.

• 4. Re: LABEL PRINTING
                RayBeckwith

Phil

I had an old copy of the database on my laptop. I copied this to the iMAC and then printed the offending Layout with no issues. I then checked via Manage Layout to ensure that the Layout which was giving me issues was exactly the same in all respects as that in the version I had copied from the laptop. I changed the margins to match but the problem still exists with the real database. I could use the old one but then I would have to find all the changes I have made since I put it on to the laptop and update to make it match the real version accordingly and I would like to understand why this problem has arisen.

One point to note is that when I changed the margin on the iMac version to match that from the laptop version it asked me whether I wanted the columns automatically changed to fit. I said No but wonder whether I should have said Yes. Anyway I am going to recreate the layout on the real database using all the settings from that which are on the laptop version rather than simply amending the former to see whether this works but I know I have tried recreating the Layout before but without success. I will report back but if you know the asnwer to the No/Yes issue mentioned above I should be grateful if you would let me know what it is.

Kind regards

Ray

• 5. Re: LABEL PRINTING
                  philmodjunk

The whole reason for adjusting the layout was to resize the columns so yes, resize columns is the option you should have selected.

• 6. Re: LABEL PRINTING
                    RayBeckwith

Phil

That seems to have worked although I still don't know (and probably never will) why the set up changed. I must have done something but I cannot fathom what.

Many thanks for your help in getting this sorted.

KInd regards

Ray