7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2009 8:20 AM by TSGal

Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?

CarrieB.

Title

Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?

What is the easiest way to set a calculated result on the find report. Specifically, I have a find window where people can search records in a related table. They can extend the search for as many criteria as they wish to enter. Then, when the find results show up, I would like to label the report with the criteria entered. I started to do this with global fields, but it is escaping me how to set the field from a find request.

Thanks!!

• 1. Re: Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?
          TSGal

CarrieB.

Thank you for your post.

One method is to have a layout of just global fields.  When a person presses a button for Find, it can execute a script that enters find mode, go to a different layout, set the fields to the values of the global fields and perform find.  If no records are found, then you can display an error message and halt the script.  If found, you can then evaluate the global fields and display this as the title of the report.

If you have any difficulty, or need any clarification, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?
            CarrieB.

Okay, I will try this. The only thing I am trying to wrap my mind around in the Extend Found Set script I have involved. It took me forever to make it work and I'm sure there is a much better way to do it, but it works! =)

Let me explain what I am doing here. I have the main table full of contact information, then a related table where you can enter multiple criteria (in this instance, they are SIC codes). For this search, I want the user to be able to specify multiple SIC Codes and get a list of contacts. So, I have 2 layouts involved. The first one you put the SIC (related table) criteria and at this point, you can choose to perform the find. Okay, that is simple enough. But, there is a button to specify more SIC Codes, which basically just performs the find and takes the user to the next layout where they can put another SIC Code in. They can do this as many times as they want, then when the user hits "find" from the 2nd layout, the script extends the found set and takes them to the report layout. 

So, I suppose I can still do this with global fields? 

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?
              TSGal

CarrieB.:

Thank you for the clarification.

The "Extend Found Set" will literally extend (add to) the current found set.  If you searched for "Dog", only those records for "Dog" will display.  If you search for "Cat" and extend found set, then you will see those records for "Dog" AND "Cat".  Does that make sense?

This concept would work well for your SIC codes.  You enter the first one, and then enter the second one and extend the found set.

Although you don't need global fields to extend the found set, it may make it easier to understand.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?
                ninja

Howdy CarrieB.

TSGal is on the money (as usual)...but I think you were aslo looking for the header labels as well.

If you're running a script to extend the found set, the globals might still be a good way to trap the Find Criteria (SIC Codes).  For each additional find/extend, you'd log another value into GlobalSearchSIC1, GlobalsearchSIC2, etc.  This could be done with Custom Dialog entry and an If statement to log successive global fields into the label holding fields.

On your final found set, you could have your Globals across the top showing all the search/extend criteria used.

Is this what you're after?

• 5. Re: Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?
                  CarrieB.
                     Yes, I'll see if I can figure the scripting out. I'm very new at this, but I learn a little more every day. Thanks for your help! I'll let you know if I figure it out. =)
                  • 6. Re: Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?
                    CarrieB.

Okay, I'm still havin' a hard time wrapping my mind around this. Maybe I'm too new, maybe I'm too tired, maybe I've spent too much time here .... =)

So, I've already got my find and extend find working, as I mentioned before. What I am wondering is, can you set a field from a find request? What happens in my scenario is: a user hits a button, it goes to a different layout, enters find mode, there are only a couple criteria listed for this specific find, one of which is a related table (the SIC Code one). So, after the user enters the SIC find information, they can either "perform the find" via a button that runs a script which performs the find and takes them to the required layout. Or, they can hit a button to add more SIC Codes, which takes them to the 2nd layout, which is essentially exactly the same as the first layout, except that when they hit the button to "perform the find", it runs a different script which extends the found set from the first layout/find. So, seems it would make sense to modify my existing scripts to set a global field with the criteria they entered in the find fields. But, I'm not quite sure how to do this or if it is possible, when they are in find mode the whole time. Do they have to be in browse mode to set a field? 

Hope I am making sense! And, thanks again, for all your help and input!

Carrie

• 7. Re: Labeling Find Report with Find Criteria?
                      TSGal

CarrieB.:

It sounds like you are very close to what you want.

No, you do not need to be in Browse Mode to set a field.  For example, assume you have a global field named g_name.

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [ Name ; g_name ]

Perform Find []

The above scripts enters Find Mode, puts the value from g_name into the Name field and performs the find.

Does this help?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.