9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2012 10:57 AM by FMPgirl

Laboratory "Well Maps"

FileMakerMan

Title

Laboratory "Well Maps"

Hello,

I work in a laboratory and am curious to know if it is possible to make an interactive microplate "well map" directly in a FileMaker database.  Ideally, I would be able to input data into data fields and have those fields link to wells on the well map.  I am using FileMaker Pro version 10 on Windows XP Pro OS.  

Thanks, 

FileMakerMan

• 1. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
          philmodjunk

A more detailed description of what you want here would help.

I think you could do this with the right relationships and possibly some portals but am not really clear as to what an "interactive well map" is.

• 2. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
            FileMakerMan

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply.  We currently have information (date of samples, time of sample, type of sample, etc.) in a FMP database about specific specimens that we have collected and plan to analyze in the lab.  

We perform our analyses in a 96-well microtiter plate (here is an example: http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications/201_IR/chap_05/images/05_f10.gif).  Currently, we have to hand-write which samples correspond to each well (ie. Sample 1: Row A, Column 1; Sample 2: Row 1, Column 1, etc.) on the plate that we are analyzing.  Our goal is to be able to create an electronic version of a microplate map so that we can electronically match sample information to each well in a diagram of the microplate.  

This might be out of the scope for a FMP database but would definitely be a HUGE improvement from hand-writing sample information repeatedly.   

Thanks,

FileMakerMan

• 3. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
              philmodjunk

So your samples form a grid. In database terms this is sometimes called a "cross tab" report.

It can be done, the structure of your tables will govern the details, but a horizontal portal may serve for this.

If you can set up your data base so that each "row" of samples is listed in order in a portal with the first column in the first portal row, you can then place a series of portals side by side with each setup to display a different portal row. That can produce the grid you need for this.

• 4. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
                etripoli

Hey FileMakerMan,

Yes, we use lots of them for cell culture, cryo storage, and elisa.  It requires two tables - one that is a static table, with 8 records, and 12 fields for the wells, plus 'key' fields for linking to the data table.  I might be able to whip up a sample.

• 5. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
                  philmodjunk

Here's a demo of how a horizontal portal could be used for this:http://www.4shared.com/file/9GerTb2w/XtabGrid.html

• 6. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
                    etripoli

And here's the sample db: 96_well.fp7

The horizontal portal might work, but I've found the users only want to deal with 1 plate at a time, so having a layout where they are able to specify the 'sample' they are working with, along with the plate ID number works best.  In the sample db, if the 'Sample Name' and/or 'Plate Number' is changed on the plate layout, it gives you access to create a new set of sample records in the samples layout.  Date and time fills in automatically when the 'Type' field is filled in for each well.  If you put this sample db into practice, remeber to prevent users from creating or deleting records in the plate table.  And, since the relationship is based on two global key fields, it works for multiple simultaneous users.

• 7. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
                      FileMakerMan

Hi etripoli,

Thank you very much for sending the template.  This is going to be a great asset to the lab.  

Do you know if there is any way to link individual sample information to more than one of the wells without having to input the same data for every well.  In other words , if we entered data into a single place on a form and then assigned that data to more than well on the plate?  For example, we could enter sample data into a form for sample 1, sample 2 and sample 3, and then assign sample 1 in wells A1, A2 + A3, sample 2 in A4 +A5, sample 3 in A6, A7, and A8, etc...

As you can probably tell we sometimes we will run samples in 2 or more wells but, not always run in the same increments.  

Thanks,

FileMakerMan

• 8. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
                        etripoli

So you're saying that a single plate will contain multiple samples, and each sample can be placed in multiple wells?  And, the samples would be defined before the plate data entry?  For this, I think a third table would be helpful, to define the individual samples.  You could also define the order of the samples that will be placed together on a plate, the number of wells to use per sample, and create a script that will assign the positions on the plate, instead of making the user type them in.

• 9. Re: Laboratory "Well Maps"
                          FMPgirl

hi Etriopoli,

I also need to create 96 well plate grid.. so i used your concept of 96 well.fp7 and it still doesnt work i dont undertsand yyy....it goes dis way that in our real time records we only are interested in positive ones. so we keep the positive and discard all negatives....then in my layout these positives are duplicated  by well duping because each positive tube is divided into different wells in 96 well plate....so consider the samples list in your table having only positives most of it duplicated and next step these need to be placed in 96 well plate grid as in your db....but it just does not display any of the records....

Hope you could help me with this.....

Thanks,

FMPgirl