7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2015 8:22 AM by glenmac451

Laout cannot be modified

john9210

Title

Laout cannot be modified

While working with layouts I frequently get the message “this layout cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window”. It’s driving me nuts! I don’t know what causes it. How can I stop it? I don't have a script that creates a new window, so that’s not it. I’m not working with multiple windows (unless a layout is considered a window).

I saw PhilModJunk’s posting on June 9, 2010 but I'm not sure it applies. When I switch layouts, doesn’t that commit the record?

• 1. Re: Laout cannot be modified
          RickWhitelaw

Are you saying you"re in Layout mode when this happens. Do you mean to say this RECORD cannot be modified?

• 2. Re: Laout cannot be modified
            john9210

You know, I'm not sure what mode I'm in. I'm so busy developing and switching between layouts when all of a sudden the message appears. I usually close and resart the file. I'll start keeping closer tabs on what mode I am in.

• 3. Re: Laout cannot be modified
              john9210

It's happening in the layout mode. I'll switch layouts to do some design work and when I try to edit something the alert pops up. When I check the Window menu, there can be a whole series of windows listed! I have no idea what's creating them. I just close the file and reopen it.

• 4. Re: Laout cannot be modified
                philmodjunk

I suspect that you are using Manage | Layouts to find and open a given layout. For reasons known only to FileMaker Inc programmers, this always opens the selected layout in a new window (Couldn't we also have the option just to change layouts in the current window?) and it's having the same layout open for editing in two or more windows that's producing this error message.

If you are going to use Manage | Layouts to find and open a layout for editing, cultivate the habit of closing the window when you are done editing it.

• 5. Re: Laout cannot be modified
                  john9210

It blows my mind!!!  I'll try to get into the habit of closing the window when I finish editing it. But that's going to be a pain!

• 6. Re: Laout cannot be modified
                    philmodjunk

It's one of the reasons I usually change layouts during database design sessions via the layouts drop down in the status toolbar instead of Manage | Layouts--even though the search tool in Manage | Layouts is very convenient once you have a large number of layouts.

• 7. Re: Laout cannot be modified
                      glenmac451

I have recently started to have this problem (FM Advanced 13) - Layout can't be modified in this window because it's being modified in a different window - which is totally nuts because I do not have any other window open.  It has started happening in a number of different FM files.  It can be rectified by relaunching FM, but it will come back.  I am running FM under Yosemite Sam which seems to follow different standards to previous OSs.  The problem never arose before Yosemite.  Anyone else finding the above problem and found a solution other than relaunching.