8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2011 1:30 PM by brianquillin

Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table

brianquillin

Title

Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table

I have Board Members (Board Table) who are responsible for many Contacts (Contact Table).  Those contacts may make many Contributions (Contributions Table).

Current Setup:

Board::memberID----<Contact::memberID
      Contacts::contactID----<Contributions::contactID

How can I show ContributionsBYContact in a portal on my Board Layout?

I've tried several combinations, none of which have worked.  What am I missing? 

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table
          philmodjunk

Do you need total contributions for each contact or each individual contribution?

If you need totals, you can either define a summary field in Contributions as the total of your contract amount or a calculation field in contacts defined as Sum ( Contributions::Amount ). Put either of these fields in a portal to Contact on your Board layout and you'll see each contact and their total contributions.

If you want to see the individual contributions, you can place a portal to Contributions on your Board layout. You can sort this portal by a field in Contact (Name or ID number) to group the contributions by contact if that is what you need to see.

• 2. Re: Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table
            brianquillin

I need to see individual contributions.  I want to see the Contact who made the Contribution AND be able to either sort or filter by Season (which is only a 4 digit year value ie. "2012")  I could also use either pledge date or receive date (full calendar date values) if that's better/easier.

Also, I only want to see Contributions made by Contacts assigned to that Board Member.  (Would a Contributions portal filter this properly?)

• 3. Re: Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table
              philmodjunk

A filter to contributions will list all the contributions related via contacts to the current board member record. A name field or fields from contacts can be included in this portal so that you see names and the contribution data.

If the Season field is defined in Contributions and you have FileMaker 11, you can set up a portal filter that references a field in Board member where you select or enter the year. If you use this filter, use the OnObjectSave trigger to perform a one line script:

Refresh Window [Flush cached join results]

To force the portal to update each time you select or enter a value in this field.

• 4. Re: Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table
                brianquillin

When using the Contributions portal, you mentioned earlier to "sort this portal by a field in Contact".  How do I do this?  When I select the Sort option for the portal and select contact_ID from the list (which is Contributions::contact_ID) I only see the one contact in the portal (I do see all that contacts' contributions but no record of any other contacts.

I know I'm missing something very basic here.  

When you say "set up a portal filter", is that done on the Manage - Database - Relationship view?

• 5. Re: Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table
                  brianquillin

I see how the Season filter works.  Thanks for that.  I'll attempt to apply that method for my other need.  I still cannot see all the contacts associated with this board member in the portal.

• 6. Re: Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table
                    philmodjunk

"I still cannot see all the contacts associated with this board member in the portal."

Does that mean you can see some but not all?

This portal lists Contributions, not contacts. If the contact has not made a contribution, the contact will not be listed in this portal.

If that doesn't explain what you are seeing and you can see some contributions that you can confirm should be listed in the portal, you'll need to check the values of the fields linking board members to contacts to contributions to see what might be the issue preventing them from appearing.

• 7. Re: Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table
                      brianquillin

I can only see one contact and all its' contributions.  Currently (in my test data), I should be seeing 2 more contacts (that are related to this Board Member) listed in this portal (both of the others also have contribution records as well.)

Currently, only Contacts::contactID ---< Contributions::contactID are linking those two tables.  Is that correct?

• 8. Re: Need some logistical guidance - Conditional Table
                        brianquillin

Another great boneheaded blunder.  My Data fields were referencing the WRONG TABLE!  

Thanks for your patience with me.  With every mistake, I learn a little more.