1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 9:16 AM by TSGal

Need some quick advice

Rookie

Title

Need some quick advice

Need your help to solve a small dilemma...

I need a script or some direction on the following situation.  " IF (something) = "Y"; then show (something) in a list or layout with data, IF Not; then don't show (something) in list.

Sorry for being basic with this, but I'm not a full time programmer and have been self taught with FMP.  Lots of Trial and Error.

Thanks for any suggestions or directions on how to presue this.

Rookie.

• 1. Re: Need some quick advice
          TSGal

Rookie:

Don't be sorry!  Everyone here is in some stage of learning FileMaker, and that's why everyone else is here.  :-)

If you need a script, then go into ScriptMaker, create a new script, and follow these instructions:

From the commands on the left side, select: If

On the right side, you will see "If []" appear, with "End If" immediately below it.  With "If []" highlighted, click on "Specify".  This brings you to another screen to enter the search criteria.

I'm assuming your (something) is a field name, so on the left side, find the field you want to evaluate and double-click it.  The field will appear in the bottom portion, perhaps preceded by the table name.  Enter "=" and then enter: "Y".  Click OK, and you will be brought back to the Edit Script window.

Next, from the left side, select: Go to Layout

Add this, and you will see it appear indented just below the If command.  Select the Layout you want to view.

From the left side, select: Else

From the left side, select: Go to Layout

(yes, again)

Select the Layout you want to view if (something) does not equal "Y"

Your script should now look something like the following:

If ["something="Y""]

Go to Layout ["Layout #1"]

Else

Go to Layout ["Layout #2"]

End If

In essence, we check to see if (something) equals "Y".  If so, we go to Layout #1.  If not (else), we go to Layout #2. 

This should get you pointed in the right direction.

Let me know if you want me to clarify any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.