8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 2:20 PM by philmodjunk

Need Sub Summary in Portal

PhilipRoss

Title

Need Sub Summary in Portal

I am working on a database that involves producing agendas for attendees at a conference.

There are tables for the attendees and for the meetings.

Each record in the meeting table has the name, date, time, room, group, and speaker for each type of meeting.

The attendee table has the name, title, etc of the attendee and a field designated what group they belong to.

I am trying to produce an agenda for each attendee that only shows the meetings that his group is authorized to attend.

I am able to get a very nice agenda for all meetings with sub summaries by date, then by meeting time.

The difficult part is having a table with one record for each attendee with a grid showing his/her meetings only sorted the same way, by date, then time. I can get a portal in place that filters correctly to only show their authorized meetings, but I can't fiqure out how to make it look like  the whole agenda does.

I have attached screen shots of how the grid looks with all the meetings on the top and how it looks now using the portal on the bottom.

I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Filemaker_Portal.jpg

• 1. Re: Need Sub Summary in Portal
          philmodjunk

You can't put sub summary layout parts in a portal, but I don't see any reason why you need to use a portal.

I can't zoom my browser enough to tell what the sub summary parts contain in your first screen shot. (It's often better to make multiple posts with one image each than merging them all into one image...)

But if your sub summary based "sub head" represents a specific meeting, there is no reason why you can't set up a list view layout based on the agenda table (the table you have in the portal in the last image) with fields from the attendee table included in the header. This then frees you to use sub summary layout parts.

There is a good chance that this may require modifying your relationships to support this.

• 2. Re: Need Sub Summary in Portal
            PhilipRoss

The problem is that I need to produce an output for each attendee that has a different agenda for each based on a certain criteria. I don't think I can do that without the use of portals. If the agendas were all the same for all attendees, I can see how using what you said would work. If you know how do that with out portals, please let me know.

Here is an example of what's in the records:

Attendee table:

Name

Title

Attendee #

Group

Meeting Table

Date

Start Time

End Time

Room

Speakers

Group

The "Group" field is the common connection. The output needs to only show the meetings were the "Group" in the Meeting Table matches the "Group" in the Attendee table. There could up to 200 different records in the Meetings Table and up to 2500 records in the Attendee table.

• 3. Re: Need Sub Summary in Portal
              philmodjunk

So your agenda is a list of the meeting records?

I still need to know what kind of sub summary part is needed here.

I thought agenda was a list of items for a given meeting--a third related table. I this not the case?

I do not see any particular road blocks to my suggestion yet. You can perform a find use Go to Related records or both in combination to control what records appear in such a report.

• 4. Re: Need Sub Summary in Portal
                PhilipRoss

Yes, the agenda table has one record for each meeting and only attendees that are members of the same group as the meetings, can go to that meeting.

The output needs to be sub sorted by date, then meeting time. I am attaching a clearer screen shot of what it should look like.

• 5. Re: Need Sub Summary in Portal
                  philmodjunk

Can an attendee be a member of more than one group? So far it looks like the answer to that is no, but it's an important detail if the answer is yes.

assuming attendees can only be a member of a single group, it looks like you have:

Attendees>-----Groups------<Meetings

Groups::__pkGroupID = Attenddees::_fkGroupID
                       Groups::__pkGroupID = Meetings::_fkGroupID

But with different field names than what I am using here. See this thread if my notation is unfamiliar: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

To list the meetings for a single Attendee, create a list view layout based on Meetings.

From a given attendee, this script step:
                       Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: Meetings; Using layout: "Agenda Report" (Meetings) ]

Will bring up a found set of Meetings records for that one specified attendee.

If you put a one row portal to Attendees in the header of this layout. You can give it a portal filter expression such as:

Attendees::__pkAttendeeID = $$SelectedAttendeeID

to show the correct Attendee data in the portal in the header.

Your script to pull up the agenda for one attendee would then look like:

Set variable [$$SelectedAttendeeID ; value: Attendees::__pkAttendeeID ]
                           Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: Meetings; Using layout: "Agenda Report" (Meetings) ]
                           Sort Records [Restore ; no dialog)

The sort step sorts records by Date to make the "sorted by date" sub summary headings visible.

• 6. Re: Need Sub Summary in Portal
                    PhilipRoss

Sorry, I should have clarified that. Yes they can be members of more than one group.

Some examples of entries in the Group field can be like this:

A

B

A - B

A, B, C

All

All, A, B, C

All, A - B

Pretty much any combination is possibie. If anything in the Group field of the attendee matches any in the Group field of the meetings, that should allow that meeting to show up on their individualized agenda.

• 7. Re: Need Sub Summary in Portal
                      PhilipRoss

Also,

The way the portal view is acting right now, it does exactly what I want. I just need to get the ouput into a "User Friendly" format, showing meetings broken down by each day, then time slots.

• 8. Re: Need Sub Summary in Portal
                        philmodjunk

If the portal could do what you want, I would have taken that route with you, but the "sub heads" you want can't be done in a portal without creating extra "dummy" records for the sub heads and that creates a whole additional set of problems.

Other problems when printing from a portal:

It imposes an upper limit on the number of meetings that can be listed for one attendee. If there are more meetings than there are portal rows, the additional meetings are omitted from your agenda. You can avoid that by making the portal extremely tall, and setting the portal to slide up and resize the enclosing part, but if you fail to make the portal tall enough...

Portals can slide or resize, but fields withing the portal row cannot slide or resize.

If your portal extends across a page break, some versions of Filemaker have trouble providing a "clean" break and a row may end up vertically split across the page break.

The group designations you have given as examples document a many to many relationship. Such can be done with a join table. Or you can use a script to use the data in Attendees::Group to perform a find for all Meetings that are assigned to one of the listed groups.

Meetings>-----Groups-----<Group_Attendee>------Attendees

Groups::__pkGroupID = Group_Attendee::_fkGroupID
                             Attendees::__pkAttenddeeID = Group_Attendee::_fkAttendeeID

With this set up, a portal to Group_Attendee placed on an Attendees layout can be used to assign an Attendee to multiple groups. Fields from the groups table can be included in the rows of this portal to make the process more user friendly.

And with those relationships, my previous example will work, even with attendees being part of multiple groups.