3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2010 10:05 AM by philmodjunk

Need to add a record in one layout and not have the record be added to other layouts in same...

CamilleHinojosa

Title

Need to add a record in one layout and not have the record be added to other layouts in same database

I am developing an electronic medical record for a clinic.  I have a database called "Medical Records".   In Medical Records, there is a layout for Doctor's Treatment Notes and a separate layout for Doctor's Impairment Rating Notes.  There are other layouts and databases as well, linkable by the patient ID number.  The problem I am having is that if I add a record to the Doctor's Treatment Note layout, it also shows up in the Doctor's Impairment Rating Note layout, which is not appropriate because a particular patient encounter can only be one or the other.  Is the solution that I need to make a separate database for the treatment notes and a separate database for the impairment notes?  My rationale in keeping it all together, is that it all makes up a complete medical record and I thought from reading other posts, that things run more simply if there are fewer rather than more databases.  Alternatively, I could make the field names unique for the impairment rating layout so that unwanted data doesn't come over.  Or I can unlink them by telling FM to not create a new record via the related field right?  I'm afraid to make any serious changes now as I don't want to delete any data (although I guess I could make a backup copy and then tinker around.) -Gratefully appreciate your input.

• 1. Re: Need to add a record in one layout and not have the record be added to other layouts in same...
          philmodjunk

It sounds like you've defined one data source table for both Treatment notes and Impairment Rating Notes.

A few general facts that may help you:

You can delete any field from any layout where you don't want it simply by entering layout mode, clicking on the field and pressing the delete key. This change will not affect any other layouts in your database file. If this is a table view layout, you can click the modify button and clear the checkbox next to the field to hide it from the table view.

In Edit | Preferences on the Layout tab, there's a preference setting: "Always add newly defined fields to current layout" that I think you may have selected. I find this to be an annoying feature as it frequently results in undesirable modifications of my layout design and I keep this check box cleared so that it doesn't happen.

Should you have both impairment notes and treatment notes in the same table or in different tables? There's no hard and fast rule to enable you to choose one over the other. There are trade offs either way and you have to analyze what you need the database to do for the user and choose the design that works best for you.

• 2. Re: Need to add a record in one layout and not have the record be added to other layouts in same...
            CamilleHinojosa

What would be the disadvantage for having separate databases for these two types of notes?

• 3. Re: Need to add a record in one layout and not have the record be added to other layouts in same...
              philmodjunk

It all comes down to how you need to use the data. Please note that I've talked in terms of separate tables, not databases. Both tables can be maintained in the same file and this will likely be easier for you to work with.

If all this data is one table, you can more easily create a report listing multiple records of both types of data in the same layout. On the other hand, if the fields needed for both types of records are very different, you could end up defining a large number of fields with only a portion actually used for any given record. This can result in a complex table definition that is harder to work with. In which case, it may make more sense to define separate tables and link both to a parent record such as an "office visit" record and/or a patient record.