2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2009 9:11 AM by PeterWaldo

Need to add Record Number (or serial) to 129k existing records...

PeterWaldo

Title

Need to add Record Number (or serial) to 129k existing records...

I am a newby using FMP 10 and need to add record numbers to a large database so that they records can be easily retrieved and referenced.  

I have looked at the serial number feature, but this seems to work when new records are created--not with existing records.  I'm sure that there's an easy solution to this, I just haven't found it in my references.

Thanks.  (I did search the forum, but didn't find it here either--perhaps my newby nomenclature doesn't work well with searches.)

++ Peter 

• 1. Re: Need to add Record Number (or serial) to 129k existing records...
          Orlando

Hi Peter

This can be done quite easily

Your on the right track, you just need to update all the existing records and then it will work going forward.

Starting from the beginning: 

First thing to do is to setup your UniqueID field in the database, and set the Auto-Enter option for Serial number to On Creation and specify your next Value and increment by. 

Now in your records, make sure you are in all the records in your database, Records > Show All Records. Place the UniqueID field on your layout and click into it and go: Records > Replace Field Contents...

In the Replace Field Contents dialog select the option for 'Replace with serial numbers:' and the Initial Value should match that you input in the Auto-Enter option.

Tick the option to 'Update serial number in Entry Options?' If this option is not selectable then there is a problem in the Auto-Enter settings.

And click Replace.

This will set the serials for all the records and also update the next value in your Auto-Enter options. 

Once this is complete go back into Define Database and the Auto-Enter options for your UniqueID field and tick the option for 'Prohibit modification of value during data entry'

Let me know if this makes sense or if I need to expand on anything for you.

• 2. Re: Need to add Record Number (or serial) to 129k existing records...
            PeterWaldo

Worked like a charm!  Thanks!

++ Peter