3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2014 7:44 AM by philmodjunk

Need to construct a list

isaaclhaywood

Title

Need to construct a list

Greetings, 

I have been researching across forums to try to find an answer that helps me unfortunately I have not been able to locate the proper answer.  

I need a list that will show data on one table in one list. This data needs to be data incoming from multiple tables and multiple fields.

For example-Table (Main menu) will be where the list will be stored

then say we have 

Table1 - field 3 + Field 4

table 2 - field 3 + Field 4

Table 3 - Field 3 + Field 4

etc

All I need is to make a list on main menu

T1-Field 3 and 4 (LINK to Table)

T2-Field 3 and 4 ( LINK to Table)

T3-Field 3  and 4 (LINK to Table)

etc

The Link to table is a feature I would like to include in the list.

• 1. Re: Need to construct a list
          philmodjunk

It is not clear to me what you want here. Could you provide an example using some sample data to explain what result you are trying to produce here?

• 2. Re: Need to construct a list
            isaaclhaywood

Sorry for not illustrating a little better.

I think I might have just been doing things the wrong way. Which is turn caused me some confusion.

Lets say I have a Table that has all the same fields in it as another table, it just happens to have slightly different data entered into some of the fields (although the data that I will be refrencing to for a list/portal will contain the same sort data like a future date which as we reach that date it will trigger the record to post to the list or portal)   what I need to achieve is creating a list on a completely seperate table (so like a portal)  only difference is I need to refrence the same field across multiple tables to get a nice clean list view like a excel spreadsheet.   As stated above each record will have a future date assigned to it in a certain field, as we hit that given date I would need the records to populate the list/portal.

So overall can I make a portal look more like an excel spreadsheet?

Can I refrence the same portal to multiple tables/layouts?

Can I have the portal only list the correct date triggered information?

I hope this helps I am having a hard time explaining what I exactly need, Phil you have been a huge help so far thanks so much!

• 3. Re: Need to construct a list
              philmodjunk

Sorry, but that's still about as clear as a pail of mud to me. To repeat, can you provide an example with some sample data to illustrate what you are trying to set up?

What I can respond to:

Can I refrence the same portal to multiple tables/layouts?

A table and a layout may be named identically, but they are NOT the same thing. A portal can only reference a particular table, but can include fields from table occurrences linked to the table occurrence specified for the portal. A portal never ever refers to a layout as its source of data.

Can I have the portal only list the correct date triggered information?

Probably, both a date field used as a match field in the relationship or a portal filter expression that uses a date might be set up to control what records appear in the portal.

Lets say I have a Table that has all the same fields in it as another table, it just happens to have slightly different data entered into some of the fields

While there are exceptions, more often than not, this is a less than ideal design option for a relational database. If the fields are the same, only the data is different, you usually do not need separate tables and thus can simplify your design by using the same table for both sets of records, perhaps with one extra field added to distinguish one group of records from another.