AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need to create a sum field that will summarize several categories in a related table

Question asked by amberm on Jul 23, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 by philmodjunk

Title

Need to create a sum field that will summarize several categories in a related table

I have been reading every post I can find on sum fields but am still having trouble.  I am using Filemaker for employee time entry. I have the time entries dropping into a portal in the Project module (they have to choose the project when they enter the time entry and that is where the relationship lives). From the Project module I want to show the type of work done or the Service Classification (drafter, engineer, clerical, etc.) and the retrospective sum total time. So there would be numerous time entry records for each project, I'd like to have a tab set up to show the Service Classification and it's total time (Drafter-20 hours total, Engineer-40 hours total, etc.).  Preferably I would like this to be a running total, and only have the Service Classification to show up in the portal when there has been a time entry associated. The point of this is so that the Project Manager can quickly compare budgeted project hours with current project hours on each project.  I am running FileMaker Pro 11. Any direction you could provide would be very helpful. I have attached some screen shots in the hopes it clarifies what I want to do.  Thanks!

Screen_Shots-page0001.jpg

Outcomes