2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 8, 2010 10:23 AM by hillsa

Need to save multiple, modified found sets in an archival image database

hillsa

Title

Need to save multiple, modified found sets in an archival image database

I'm using Filemaker Pro v.10 on a Mac, v.10.5.8 OS / Leopard. I'm an amateur filemaker pro developer and built an archival image database in order to catalog what will be probably around 30,000 images (which is about 15% catalogued) for a public utility. I will occassionally get requests for certain images and would like to be able to save MODIFIED found sets but am having a hard time figuring out how to do so.

For example, someone requests "archival, historic images of public utility workers and tools" as well as "archival images of our city". These are essentially 2 (or more) search criteria which i can search on using key words and the subject field. Once i have a found set, there are images i can omit because i know they won't be appropriate or good enough quality. Once i omit records from a found set, how can i save this modified found set?

In addition, is there a way to ADD TO this modified found set so that i can have saved sets according to the person who made the request? For now, I am doing searches, omitting records, and then saving as a pdf file. once i have multiple saved pdf files i am using Acrobat to combine the pdfs into one. There must be a way to build this in FMP, no?

thanks!

• 1. Re: Need to save multiple, modified found sets in an archival image database
          philmodjunk

Assuming...

1) each image is stored in a container field in a table with one record per image

2) each such record is uniquely identified with a serial number

You can build a list of these serial numbers in a list of values and save them in a text field in order to preserve the found set.

After you've created the found set of images you want to save, run this script:

Go To Layout [IDlist // a layout that only lists the serial number field of your found set]

Copy All Records

Go To Layout [//Specify a layout where you have the text field where you want to save this list]

Paste[//Select your text field here]

Set up your text field in a table where you can create a new record each time you want to save a new found set. You can add additional fields to this record to document the found set.

To bring back your found set of images, create a relationship between this new table of saved image sets and your images table:

SavedImageSets::IDlist = Images::ID

From the record where you've saved your list of image ID's use Go To Related Record to bring up your list of images.

Go To Related Records is a very useful tool, but which is very poorly documented. To learn more about GTRR, click the following link:

The Complete Go To Related Record

• 2. Re: Need to save multiple, modified found sets in an archival image database
            hillsa

yes your assumptions are correct. thanks for the info - it's a lot to digest for an amateur developer such as myself. but i'll take a whack at it!

thanks

sarah