11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2012 6:51 AM by davidanders

Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12

brianinaz

Title

Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12

Hi,

I have a unique problem. I am using FMP 8 on an older Mac.The older mac cannot run 10.7 so it cannot be upgraded to FMP 12    I purchased an new Mac and it runs 10.7.

The plan is to run FMP 12 on the new Mac, but the original FMP 8 is on an external hard drive via usb to old Mac.

How do I make the switch to FMP 12 without losing the ability to continue daily operations of FMP 8?

Ultimately, I would like to eliminate the external hard drive, install FMP 12 on the internal drive of the new Mac.

If I move the external drive to the new Mac, will FMP 8 run under 10.7? Will it survive a sudden change of OS? Will that be a seamless transition or is there something I should know or do first?

I can't risk losing data or use of the program while making the switch.

How do I move the program from the external drive to the internal drive and keep full functionality of the program?

Would it be possible to select a new destination disk while performing the upgrade? Connect the extrenal drive to the new Mac while upgrading to FMP 12, select the internal drive for the new home of FMP 12, then resave the files on the new drive from within the program?

• 1. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
          philmodjunk

The key difference is that FileMaker 12 introduces a new file format. FMP 8 cannot open files of this new format and FMP 12 cannot open .fp7 files--the format used in FileMaker 8, without first converting them to FMP 8--a conversion that cannot be reversed.

• 2. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
            brianinaz

Yes, I understand that. The tutorial explains that, but the upgrade saves the old file in the old format as a backup.

My main concern is the OS. If I plug the external harddrive into the new Mac, will FMP 8 start right away so I can use it on the new Mac? This is probably more of an OS question, but I thought maybe someone knew first hand. I don't want to be caught in a quandry of the program not running under 10.7, but then not being able to revert back to the old Mac because 10.7 will make changes to the external hard drive.. Once FMP 8 is running unber 10.7 on the new Mac, I am retiring the old Mac (OS 10.3.9). Once FMP 8 is running under 10.7, I then want to do the upgrade to FMP 12; which leads to the second question of moving the upgraded program to the internal drive of the new Mac so that I may retire the external drive before it fails and leaves me hanging.

• 3. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
              philmodjunk

Why not try it and see? I think though that your fmp 8 application is not installed on the external drive. It's more likely to be found in the applications folder on your system drive. If so, you'll need to install FMP 8 on your new machine.

• 4. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
                brianinaz

I know for a fact that it is installed on the external drive.

Why not? As I mentioned, 10.7 will make changes to the drive's file structure so I've read) and I don't wish to be caught without a working program. That will cost me a lot of time (time is money), which is why I thought it better to ask before making what could be a mistake. 

• 5. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
                  philmodjunk

You should never, ever have a single copy of any FileMaker database file. Make backup copies of the file so that if anything untoward happens, you still have a copy. But changes to a drive's file structure should not change the structure of the files themselves--unless such changes render the contents of the file completely unreadable--hence the need to make back ups.

• 6. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
                    brianinaz

I located my install disc and tried to install FMP 8.5 on the new Mac with OS 10.7.x

Apparently, I have the power PC version (which is why I could not upgrade the old Mac to the higher levels of OSX) and 10.7 does not support software written for power PC's. 

Will the upgrade of FMP 12 require 8.5 to be found on the drive in order to perform the upgrade?

Or will I need to buy a full new version of FMP 12?

To answer your comment, I do have the file backed up on 2 separate drives, plus a clone if I should ever have needed it.

• 7. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
                      philmodjunk

There is the fileMaker application and then there is the database file.

You should need only copy the database file to a drive that is part of the new machine and then you can use the file menu to open it. This produces a new copy of the file converted to the new file format used by FileMaker 12. You do not need the application, just the database file or files.

This knowledgeBase article on converting to .fmp12 format may be helpful: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10571/kw/converting

• 8. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
                        JimMac

I have the exact same problem.  FMP8 and various MacOS and Window's OS.  I moved FMP8 to FMP11 first.  That eliminates the problems of MacOS and Windows.  FMP11 uses .fp7 extentions and the newest OS's.

Now comes the fun part....

Since i needed FMP12 for an improvement in container field management, I have to get a copy of my FMP11 db converted to FMP12 , make modifications, bring over copy of working records, test and retest.

When i get FMP12 testing working, i have to shut down the FMP11 service and move a copy of all current records and sequential numbers and counters to FMP12 and make sure all  users have FMP12 and and and yes hopefully .... 

It is not a simple change.....

I was buying FMP12 and Filemaker said I bought both FMP11 and FMP12 for the single price FMP12.  FMP12 was due out in 2 weeks at that time.

I would check with Filemaker to see if you can get FMP11.

Jim....

• 9. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
                          brianinaz

The link provided in the previous post contains a free download of FMP 11 for this purpose.

Filemaker is aware is these issues, they are providing the solution, but you need to know who to ask or where to look.

[quote]This knowledgeBase article on converting to .fmp12 format may be helpful:http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10571/kw/converting[/quote]

• 10. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
                            brianinaz

The link provided in the previous post contains a free download of FMP 11 for this purpose.

This knowledgeBase article on converting to .fmp12 format may be helpful:http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10571/kw/converting

Filemaker is aware is these issues, they are providing the solution, but you need to know who to ask or where to look.

• 11. Re: Upgrade from FMP 8 to 12
                              davidanders

You say old mac has external USB drive with Filemaker on it. You are booting from this drive? OR you installed FMP on the old mac and moved the FMP application from the Applications folder to the external (possible but ill-advised).

Old OSX installed on PowerPC (G4s and G5s) Macs would boot from hard drives partitioned with Apple Partition Map.
                                   Snow Leopard 10.6 and newer will not install on APM, requires the hard drive be partitioned with GUID.This is about a BOOT partition and not data storage.  New Mac with Lion or MLion 10.7 | 10.8 will read your external without changing the partitioning if it is just data.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Partition_Map
                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2007102511133285
                                   Convert a drive from Apple Partition Map to GUID

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20091026115700604
                                   10.6: Create a bootable 10.6 partition on an APM drive