4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2009 11:22 AM by TSGal

Upgrading from Bento

neillhowell

Title

Upgrading from Bento

Hi;

I had some experience in Filemaker 3, 4 and 5- but haven't done anything with it recently. I need a system for tracking my clients and was referred to Bento. After a couple of days messing around in it, I'm finding it too limited for some of the functionality I need. Is there a quick and easy way to take libraries and forms created in Bento and import them to Filemaker, or will I need to start all over? If I need to start over, is there a quick way in Filemaker to link to Mac Address Book, iCal and Mail like there is in Bento?

Thanks! 

• 1. Re: Upgrading from Bento
          davidanders

My understanding, as of today, the Bento to Filemaker link is nebulous at best. The existance of this software

http://www.fmpromigrator.com/

with a Bento to Filemaker conversion utility is an indication of the complexity.

There are plugins and applescripts that can meld FMP and OSX apps, but not as easily as Bento.

Bento tastes like a complete rewrite of the Filemaker philosophy for OSX 10.5

David Anders

(happy to be proved wrong) 

• 2. Re: Upgrading from Bento
            TSGal

nellihowell:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro will import a Bento file directly.  From within FileMaker Pro, pull down the File menu and select "Import Records -> Bento Data Source...".  You will then be prompted for which Libraries you want to import.

However, some users have reported problems when importing from Bento.  Therefore, you can always export the data from Bento to a CSV text file, and then use FileMaker Pro to import from the CSV text file.  An extra step, but the data will transferred.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Upgrading from Bento
              neillhowell
                 Thanks, but will importing bring in the forms and links to Address book, iCal, etc. or only the data?
              • 4. Re: Upgrading from Bento
                TSGal

nellihowell:

No, the import only brings in the data.  You will have to recreate the layouts.

Also, FileMaker Pro does not have any links into Address Book nor iCal.  You can import the Address Book, iCal Events and iCal Tasks Libraries, but any changes in Apple's Address Book or iCal applications will NOT be reflected in FileMaker Pro.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.