4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2010 6:28 PM by MikeM.

Upgrading from OS9

MikeM.

Title

Upgrading from OS9

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have been using FileMaker for a long time. I've just purchased a new iMac and am in the process of transferring files and loading all my apps. Until now I've been using OSX v10.4.11 on a Mac that allowed me to use both OS 9 and OSX. I use OSX applications for almost everything but have been using Filemaker Pro v3.0 on OS 9. I purchased an FMP v6 upgrade package several years ago but never used it. The new iMac has just arrived and it is pre-loaded with Bento. Can I move my FMP v3.0 data files over to Bento or will I have to load FMP v6 on the new iMac ? It appears that the upgrade for v6 will look for a previous FMP application before it will load. I'll likely have a problem as the new Mac does not have a FMP application loaded on it. In addition to transferring a data base over to the new Mac I have a label file with various labels formatted to print on Avery label sheets. I'd really like to be able to continue to use these label files rather than have to lay them out and set them up again. Can anyone advise what I can do, I will really appreciate your help ?   

• 1. Re: Upgrading from OS9
          philmodjunk
             If you plan on using Bento, you can export data from your FMP 3.0 files into text files of a format compatible for importing into Bento. (I don't have Bento, but other posts in the forum indicate that this approach should work.) Note that only your data will be imported, no layouts will be imported, you'll have to set those up in Bento from scratch.
          • 2. Re: Upgrading from OS9
            MikeM.
               Thanks for you advise, Phil. I'll look into the format Bento requires. I had hoped to be able to transfer or import the FMP 3.0 files (in OS 9) into FMP 6.0 (in OSX). Even though FMP 6.0 is an old version, at least it will work on the new iMac. I would be able to use my existing data files. I'm still using my old Mac on a day-to-day basis and am in the process of setting up the new Mac. Moving forward I could either start new projects in Bento or purchase an upgrade to the most current version of FMP for business purposes.
            • 3. Re: Upgrading from OS9
              philmodjunk
                 You should be able to use FMP 6 to open and convert your FMP 3 files to the newer format. Simply launch FMP 6, select open from the file menu to open the older format files.
              • 4. Re: Upgrading from OS9
                MikeM.
                   Thanks Phil. I loaded FMP 6.0 (OSX) on my old Mac. After opening the program I loaded each of my FMP 3.0 files from the OS9 side of the computer and converted each file into the new v6 format. Transfered the converted files and FMP 6.0 to my new iMac and everything is working fine.