1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 15, 2009 11:59 AM by philmodjunk

upgrading from v5 to v10 in pc, can't access files, new to filemaker pro

deepspring

Title

upgrading from v5 to v10 in pc, can't access files, new to filemaker pro

I've installed FileMaker Pro 10 on a new laptop and need to access the files from the old version. Using windows XP on both machines, I copied the file I needed to the new computer. When I open FileMaker Pro 10 I cannot gain any access to it. Even without trying to gain access to the file the program does not recognize me, the menus are grayed out. The account name is the same on both versions, I found it in the old version under application preferences and entered it on the new version and the account menu does not allow me to select guest to get in.

I uninstalled the software and when reinstalling it made sure I selected all users to have access. Still can't get it.  

I found the password(s) - account and guest - from the older software,  did not setup the old version and don't have access to the person who did set this up. Would really appreciate some help! Thanks - Tana

• 1. Re: upgrading from v5 to v10 in pc, can't access files, new to filemaker pro
          philmodjunk

FMP 5 does not have account names. In preferences, there's a user name, but this is not the same as an account name. Open the converted file by entering the original password as both the account name and the password. Open the original file and check the password (in FMP 5, you can see the passwords), to make sure that you capitalize any parts of the original password that were entered as uppder case (old versions do not have case sensitive passwords, FMP 10 does).