6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 1:21 PM by philmodjunk

Upgrading the current user runtime files from FM11 To FM12

JCPython

Title

Upgrading the current user runtime files from FM11 To FM12

Strange enough i managed to figure out how to run a script that converts the .USR files of my FM11 runtime, so now the files are converted and im trying to import the records from the newly converted .USR file. however i now get the error message that states

File.USR is not authorized to open the protected file, do you want ti authorize it?

and when i click yes i try entering the full access account name and password, then it hits me... when i created the runtime i always remove admin access from files, this must be why i cant authorize it using the correct login details.

My question is, how can i get my current users switched over from using the runtime made in 11 to the new runtime update im creating in FM 12. My main goal is to avoid them from having to rekey all their records.

maybe i need to create another update runtime in the fm 11 to change some security settings so they can then import records in the fm 12 runtime without getting the authorization error?

its late i hope i explained this well.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Upgrading the current user runtime files from FM11 To FM12
          philmodjunk

I think you'll need scripts that export the data from the v11 file as merge or other type text files and then a script in new version 12 files that you send to them imports the data from them into the new file.

• 2. Re: Upgrading the current user runtime files from FM11 To FM12
            djs_1

I had trouble with the upgrade with the runtime myself. I removed the Admin account on the runtime, and that did not present a problem with my import. I learned the following on moving to fmp12 with my runtime:

+ In the new FM 12 version, you can write an import script, and in that script detect that you are working with a fp7 format file. My app has a backup function and I do a Save a Copy as to an "fp7" file. So when I import I can detect it is fp7 file format per the suffix. Perhaps you can assume it is an fp7 file in your case.

+ I used the Convert script step to convert the file to fmp12 format. This works fine.

+ If you open a window and set it to be modal, this will interfere with the Convert script step. Close out any modal windows first before calling the Convert step.

+ Convert did not create a file with a "fmp12" suffix as I expected from the fp7 file. It created one with a "USR" suffix. So I then used the file name, with the suffix changed accordingly to "USR", to import from.

+ If you run Convert on the file more than once, it starts to append a sequence number to the end of the additional copies. Be careful you are importing from the correct converted copy.

+ If you use intermediate file formats, such as xslx, you will lose some of the formatting, and the binary container fields. I prefer the direct import approach using the filemaker native files.

+ Check your Import Records script steps to be sure all the fields you want to import on each table are correct.

+ Running Convert will generate a Conversion.log file. If you have errors, you may look at that. I have not had any issues with the data conversion, which is all I care about when doing an import.

I also noticed that you have Security issues with the import. I would suggest 2 things:

+ Check the security set up for your fp7 files. These issues should be the same whether you are migrating to Filemaker 11 or 12.
            + If you are importing from Runtime to Runtime, it may be important that both are using the same Runtime bind key so the runtime app created can access both files.

I hope this helps.

• 3. Re: Upgrading the current user runtime files from FM11 To FM12
              JCPython

I think you'll need scripts that export the data from the v11 file as merge or other type text files and then a script in new version 12 files that you send to them imports the data from them into the new file.

I see the export script step and im confused a bit, it seems like i can add all the fields from each tabe to be exported in the single scriptsetp field export order. when the users import the records would i be using a import script step as before to load the data?

I just tried to export step, using fields from just my main table to test it out, when it asked where to save  i put the filename as "test.tab" and cliked save, but it never put anything on my desktops, tried a few times.

so my question is can i export all tables at once into the same file from fm 11 and then to import the data would it be the same as if i was importing from .usr file? using matching field names, and adding the set next serial value +1 scriptstep to each table.

• 4. Re: Upgrading the current user runtime files from FM11 To FM12
                philmodjunk

You would export the data from each table as a separate export to a different file. Import Records can then import from these text files much like importing from a fileMaker file, but you now do not have to deal with the difference in file formats between v11 and v12 files. Keep in mind that export records will export the current found set so you'll need to Show All Records before exporting. (and you'll need to move from layout to layout as you export.)

• 5. Re: Upgrading the current user runtime files from FM11 To FM12
                  JCPython

ok that sounds perfect, before i jump right into this getting the scripts all setup, can all this be done without the customners seing all the tables and field names and just have it all run behind the scenes?

• 6. Re: Upgrading the current user runtime files from FM11 To FM12
                    philmodjunk

Yes, it can all run behind the scenes, except for some progress bars that will pop up as each export and import takes place. You may want to gin up a display that updates with each pair of export/imports so that the user gets some since of how much more remains to be done before the process completes.