1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2010 10:44 AM by philmodjunk

Upgrading to Filemaker 11 from 8

Jim

Title

Upgrading to Filemaker 11 from 8

My company is planning to upgrade to Filemaker 11. I have downloaded the trial so I can try it out and get an idea of how the upgrade will work. We currently have about 20 licenses and connect to a filemaker server. For testing purposes I installed the trial and copied all of our filemaker database files to a computer and disconnected it from the server so it will only work with the test files.

When I open one of the files the field definitions window opens and it says rebuilding dependencies. (I'm guessing that means it is reconnecting everything it needs to open)

It then says could not be opened either host is not available, or the file is not available.

Is there something else I need to do that I am missing.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1. Re: Upgrading to Filemaker 11 from 8
          philmodjunk

Check Manage | External Data Sources and see what's there

It's likely you have a reference to another file that is attempting to connect to your server or uses a file path to a specific location.

Since you have moved the files and disconnected from the network, such references will trigger the error you report.

Simply use the External Data Source dialog to fix each of these references and you should be good to go.