8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 2:15 PM by philmodjunk

uploading picture for web publishing

DickKoster

Title

uploading picture for web publishing

Hi

I have a question about uploading pictures as a batch for web publishing. I have linked pictures to the database. all pictures have a unique name consisting of a country code and id number, which however is independent of the relating record. however, these pictures can not be viewed. I put ever everything in the webfolder (not any longer in subfolders), and tried to link them again. I have to do that apparently one by one and for 5000 files, it is a bit much. so I was told to import the web-folder. however, I am not able to link the picture to the correct record. I see four source fields (image, file name, file path,  and image thumbnail), but I have no idea what target fields apart from "picture" should be schoosen en which should be leading in the import ptocedure. can anyone help me?

• 1. Re: uploading picture for web publishing
          philmodjunk

How are your tables and fields set up?

It should be possible to import the pictures into a related table and use the filename to link records in this table to records in your original table.

• 2. Re: uploading picture for web publishing
            DickKoster

Thanks for replying!

I don't what you exactly would like to know, but I'll try to describe the situation as well as possible. It's a dog database with in the main database 255 fields, some of which are not in use anymore. Some data are stored in separate related databases, like show results and health items. the pictures are stored in the database folder in separate subfolders, named according to the source (Holland, germany, Hungary etcetera). all pictures are linked to the main view. for the web publishing I had all picture files copied to the Filemaker web folder. I was advised by the helpdesk to import this folder, but I was unable to link them correctly. I then exported all records, with the picture field, and included the unique identifier (RIN), into an fp7 file. I tried to import this file in an attempt to have the pictures replaced. it didn't work. the database still looked in the original location for the pictures.

BTW I use FM pro advanced 9.0v3

• 3. Re: uploading picture for web publishing
              philmodjunk

I then exported all records, with the picture field, and included the unique identifier (RIN), into an fp7 file. I tried to import this file in an attempt to have the pictures replaced. it didn't work. the database still looked in the original location for the pictures.

That's not the import option they had in mind as these records will have the same data--with the same file references as your original data and they point to the original file location.

I thin Filemaker 9 has the same option here as filemaker 10 and 11....

Make a back up copy of your file if you haven't already

Select Import Records | folder from the File menu

Import the folder of images in your web folder into your database. Whether you import these values directly into an existing table or into a new table where you'll then establish links to these imported image records depends on your tables and how you use these images. You'll need to match the RIN in your existing records to the filename of the imported images.

• 4. Re: uploading picture for web publishing
                DickKoster

thanks a lot. I am one step further. I did as you wrote: linked the RIN in the target field to the file name in the source field. I also linked Image to the picture field. I imported the first batch. Now pictures apperared but they were placed sequentially in the database, these 600 pictures were shown in the first 600 dogs in the file (RIN 1 to 600)

• 5. Re: uploading picture for web publishing
                  DickKoster

PS not every individual has a picture, about 10% of the records do.

• 6. Re: uploading picture for web publishing
                    philmodjunk

The key is to match the imported image with the correct record. If you have a field in your existing table that stores the exact same information as the filename of the image, you can use the update matching records option to import a given file reference into the correct record.

If you can't do this, you need to import the images into a new table related by the filename of the imported images to a matching field in your existing records. Once you get that to work, you can either keep this new table and update all your existing layouts to use the container field in the new table or you can

• 7. Re: uploading picture for web publishing
                      DickKoster

I see what you mean, but I have not yet a clue how to do so. example:

name of dog= Asvany vom Gutenberg; ID= NHSB 1.563.904, RIN = 193; picture file name = \Holland\NL_1563904.jpg. the import function shows on the source field side: Image, File name (=NL_1563904.jpg), file location (the path to the file in the webfolder) and an image thumbnail. I don't see how I can match them.

You're suggestion is to import the files into a new table. how can I do that without having to import each dog's picture individually? I tried to create a kind of new table, but as you correctly mentoned: the file location is preserved.

• 8. Re: uploading picture for web publishing
                        philmodjunk

Taking the last question first, Import Records | Folder allows you to import all the images in a given folder into a specified table (and new table is an option) with one image into each record.

In your case, you can do the Import matching after first adding a calculation field that takes the value in ID and converts it into the same form as the file name.

Create this calculation field in your current table:

"NL_" & Filter ( ID ; "0123456789" ) & ".jpg"

Match it to the filename of the imported image and you should get the correct image reference imported into the container field of the correct record.