7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2013 2:44 PM by jb362

Uploading to an iPad

jb362

Title

Uploading to an iPad

Besides emailing what other method(s) are there to get a copy of a FMP database over to my iPad?

Would you please list the steps needed?

Thanks,

Jerry

• 1. Re: Uploading to an iPad
          philmodjunk

I don't own an iOS device and thus can't give you the steps, but you can use iTunes to copy a database back and forth between an iPad and a personal computer.

• 2. Re: Uploading to an iPad
            jb362

I've never used iTunes, but I guess its time to get onboard.

Thanks for the suggestion.

• 3. Re: Uploading to an iPad
              Sorbsbuster

Phil's answer is correct.  You connect the iPad to the Desktop (using a special data cable that no-one else seems to need), launch iTunes (if it doesn't do so automatically, because it takes over that kind of things.  Although what 'music' has to do with a database transfer I'm still trying to figure), click on the connected device in the left toolbar, go to 'Applications', choose 'FM Go', browse to the file to be transferred, then lose the will to live...

I'm so old I remember the days when you used to drag-and-drop, but that's progress, eh...?

• 4. Re: Uploading to an iPad
                jb362

I connected my laptop to my iPad .

I launched iTunes on both the laptop and the iPad, but I don't see a left tool bar on either device so I can't click on/choose a connected device.

I see the iPad icon near the top right of the laptop’s screen.

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

• 5. Re: Uploading to an iPad
                  Sorbsbuster

Not your fault - the whole thing stinks.

See here for details

• 6. Re: Uploading to an iPad
                    schamblee

You don't have to have itunes running on the ipad.   The newest version doesn't have the tool bar.  Click the iPad icon near the top right then click apps on the top menu bar, then click on FileMaker Go under Apps.  You will see FileMaker Documents to the right.  Then Click the add button to add a new app, then double click the desired app.  Note : Same steps for iPhone except you click the iPhone icon at top of screen.

• 7. Re: Uploading to an iPad
                      jb362

That was the receipe I needed.

Thanks S Chamblee.