13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 3:09 PM by TSGal

Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9

csandoval

Title

Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9

I've been trying to setup label printing to a high speed Zebra printer (Z4M), but I just don't see any way to make it work.

The spool of labels are 2 across 1.25" wide by 1" high with about 1/8" gap between.  Using the label layout, I can sorta get the label setup, but the page width is still 8.5" by 11" and I don't see any way to set the page width to be 2.75" width of the spool.

Has anyone gotten this working on a high-speed Zebra printer?

-=>Chris

• 1. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
          TSGal

csandoval:

Thank you for your post.

It sounds like the Zebra printer uses a standard printer driver.  With 1" high and 1/8" gap between, this isn't going to fit any printer driver.  With 10 labels, that would be 11.25 inches, which exceeds the 11" page length.  With 12 labels, that would be 13.5", which will also not work properly with Legal size paper.

See if you can contact Zebra for a customized printer driver.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
            csandoval

I may have been unclear.

The Zebra printer spool is 2.75" wide for the 2 label configuration, but within FileMaker I'm unable to specify a custom page width and the default specifies the layout page to be 8.5" by 11".  I don't see any alternative page layouts that would fit the running spool from the printer with a 2.75" width.

Will FileMaker work with a spool or do I need a custom printer driver as you mentioned?  I will also contact Zebra in hopes that they've run into this before.  Is anyone else out there using a high speed Zebra printer for spooled labels?  I wasn't able to find any helpful info using a google search.

-=>Chris

• 3. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
              TSGal

csandoval:

I have a DYMO LabelWriter DUO Tape 128 printer that has its own driver.  Under Page Setup, this printer appears with several page attributes.  Some of the Paper Size attributes include "24 mm (1" ) Continuous", "19 mm (3/4" ) Continuous", "12 mm (1/2" ) Continuous", and others.  That is, this label printer does have Continuous driver settings.  I would assume this would be the case with the Zebra printer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                csandoval

You are correct!  The system that I was testing on is an older Zebra 500 series and it doesn't give those options, but I switched to one of our newer systems with the Zebra Z4M Plus models and they have better options.  I can get it to print now, but it only prints the first 2 records and then stops.  The print is also very light and incomplete even when bolded in the actual label in FileMaker.  Hmmmm.

-=>Chris

• 5. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                  TSGal

Chris:

Make sure you are using the most up-to-date driver.  Also, whatever you see on screen is how it should be sent to the printer driver, so see how it appears in Preview Mode.  In any case, you're on the right track.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                    csandoval

OK, driver is updated, but seems like I was already close to this version if not already as it didn't really make any difference.

Everything is working at this point with the exception that it prints only the first 2 records/labels and then stops.  I'm not sure how to fix that.  Any ideas?

-=>Chris

• 7. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                      TSGal

Chris:

Pull down the View menu and select "Preview Mode".  This displays how the records will print out.  Click on the book on the left side to move forward and see subsequent pages.  If only the first two labels appear, then you probably have a found set of records.

If multiple pages are displayed, then go back into print, and make sure you have the option select "Print: Records being browsed". Otherwise, you could also run into some problems.

If you have "Print: Records being browsed" selected, then everything you see in Preview is being sent to the print driver.

Continue to keep me posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 8. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                        csandoval

In "Preview Mode" it is 1 page with all 4 records displayed in 2 rows of 2 on what appears to be a 8.5"x11" page.  There is only 1 page in preview.  While the page size seems incorrect, even if I switch to a 2"x4" page or some other smaller page size, it does the same thing.  Only the first 2 records print on labels.

I am printing all records (records being browsed).

At this point, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the overal page size dimensions.  In my testing yesterday, I had 6 records in the system and rather than printing across first, I was printing down first and got 3 individual labels -- basically every other label.  I have a feeling that the page dimensions are forcing the others off the print page and so they're just being skipped rather than wrapped in some way.

I'm not sure what my dimensions should be...  The width of the spool is approx. 2.5", but what should the length be?  It's a roll of labels.  I also don't see a dimension that seems like it is an exact match, so where/how would I set a user defined?  Is that even possible?

-=>Chris

• 9. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                          TSGal

csandoval:

With my DYMO printer selected, when I go to Preview, I see several records on a page.  Granted, I only have eight records, but I set it for 2-across, and the DYMO driver is set for 1" labels, 22" page length.  All of my continuous roll settings have a page length of 22".

Check out the different setting for the printer driver.  See if there is a "continuous" setting.  If this can't be done, then use 11".

As far as width, pull down the Layouts menu and select "Layout Setup".  Select the last tab, "Printing", and set it for two columns.

Then, pull down the View menu and select "Object Info".  You want the body width to be 1.25", so drag the right edge of the Body until you see the value 1.250 inches.  If it jumps around, then pull down the Arrange menu and turn off Object Grids.  You can then precisely position it at 1.250 inches.

See if this helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                            csandoval

OK, so here's what I tried:

I set the printer to continuous in the printer settings and then it printed 4 blank labels followed by the 4 labels with the correct record info.  The 4 blank records seemed to be because the page length may have been set to 4", but not definitive.  I then tried to set the page length to 1" as that's the length of each label and then it printed just the first row (first 2 labels) only.  I then tried setting the page length to 22" and it spooled about 20" of blank labeles followed by the 4 labels with info (approx. 2").  At this point I'm thinking setting continuous with user-defined dimensions isn't going to work because it will only always print the full length of the defined dimensions -- with lots of blanks.

I turned off continuous and then it printed just the 4 records correctly.  I got excited -- thinking I'm on the right track...  I added 2 more records for a total of 6 and the preview looked good, so I printed.  Only 4 records printed! ARGH!  It stopped after 4.

What a pain this is becoming.  It really shouldn't be this difficult, but I really need to use these high-speed lable printers as we print thousands of labels at times.

-=>Chris

• 11. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                              TSGal

Chris:

When the page length was set to 22", how did it appear in Preview?

If you create a new test library, does the same problem occur?  I'm trying to test the possibility that the original file may be corrupted.

Yes, printing shouldn't be that difficult.  Whatever displays in Preview is exactly what is being sent to the printer driver.

For testing purposes, do you have another printer?  If so, use that printer (with its printer driver), display the information in Preview and then print.  Is it the same?  If so, then your original printer driver needs updating.  If not, then there may be a problem with the database file itself.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                                csandoval

I'm just not sure what else to try.

When I setup the layout (even with a new file), I choose a custom label layout that is 2 labels wide with dimensions of 1.25"x1" for the labels.  This looks fine in layout mode, but when I preview, it shows me 2 rows of labels (approx. 2.25-2.5") and it looks like the preview page is still 8.5" wide.

I've tried chaning the page dimensions, but that just skews the labels.

I can also configure the printer settings for paper size and if I configure that to be 2.75" wide by 1", it gives me 1 row of labels, not continuous feeding the other records.

Do you think I'd benefit from paid support from FileMaker?  Do they test with these printers to the point that they could help me?

-=>Chris

• 13. Re: Zebra Label Printing from FileMaker 9
                                  TSGal

csandoval:

Sorry for the late reply.  Today was not a good day...  :-)

We do not have a Zebra printer here, and I checked if this was tested.  It wasn't.  So, even if you called Technical Support, I don't think they could help.

It doesn't sound like you have a continuous option for the printer driver.

If you have the layout set for 1" tall labels and two columns, then even with 8.5" paper, you should see at least 7 (most likely 8) rows of labels (assuming you have 16 records).  Have you tried this layout with another printer?  I'd be curious to see the difference.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.