12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2015 6:09 AM by philmodjunk

Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel

Paper_Queen

Title

Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel

I've created a container field optimized for interactive content (PDFs, in my case). When I try to zoom in on the PDF image (using Command + shortcut), however, I get the "Replace Field Contents" panel.

Pinching to zoom in/out doesn't work.

Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?

Screen_Shot_2015-04-22_at_1.33.00_PM.png

• 1. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
          philmodjunk

Command = on a mac system is the keyboard short cut for replace field contents. Note that + and = are the same key.

• 2. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
            Paper_Queen

Since Command + (or =, as you pointed out) zooms or increases size of highlighted items in most apps, I assumed it would do the same here. 

What is the correct way to zoom in on a PDF stored in a container? Keyboard shortcuts, please...?

• 3. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
              philmodjunk

Don't know as I don't currently own a Mac and haven't messed around all that much with an interactive container. It might be that command + will work if you first click in the field to put the focus in it and then press the keyboard shortcut. The interactive conttainer field is really a special purpose web viewer that in turn uses code from Safari so if you know a keyboard shortcut that works in safari other than command + you might try it to see if it works or not.

• 4. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                Paper_Queen

PhilModJunk, I did click in the container prior to Command + (wouldn't make sense to do it any other way)---that's what called up the unexpected replace panel.

From your post:

The interactive conttainer field is really a special purpose web viewer

If you look at the Inspector Panel > Data tab, you'll see the attached image, directing PDFs to interactive containers.

Even the FileMaker Help files refer to the Interactive Container as the sole location to store PDF files.

This presents two problems: (1) Difficulty zooming in and out, but even more challenging, (2) if you accidentally click an embedded link in the PDF, the interactive container takes you to the website. Requires Control-click > Back command to view the PDF image again.

Of course, a container optimized for images only (the other option provided) would be best, but...all zoom in/out functions are removed, making this an even less workable choice.

Any Mac users out there who can help sort this out, please? 

• 5. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                  TSGal

Paper_Queen:

Thank you for your posts.

On a Mac, since the "=" and "+" occupy the same key, the "=" takes precedence.  If you have an extended keyboard where the "+" key resides by itself on the far right side, then Command + will zoom in.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                    Paper_Queen

Thanks, TSGal. Unfortunately, since I'm on a MacBook Air, there's no extended keyboard option (for the sake of argument, I tried Shift Command + in hopes the shift would push the + active, but sadly, that rotates the image instead).

Crazy thing? The "Optimize for Images" option would be easier, given it's simple right click menu options, except...there's no zoom capability (necessary for my purposes). If I abandon the interactive container, and go instead to the non-interactive container, is there some secret way to zoom in and out? I can't find a thing about zooming static containers online or in the Help files. 

• 7. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                      TSGal

Paper_Queen:

If the Container is non-interactive, then the only zoom capability would be within FileMaker Pro.  In the bottom left corner of the window  shows the zoom level.  You can also go to the View menu and select Zoom In.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                        Paper_Queen

That's what I feared. I only need to zoom in on the PDF, not the entire FM screen. Drats.

• 9. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                          philmodjunk

Would it work for you if you had a way to pop open a new window where a very large container field fills the window? And perhaps that window could be resized larger/smaller and the container field in it changes size along with the window?

This is something that can be scripted if you think that it will work for you.

• 10. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                            Paper_Queen

Hmmmm...possibly, if it's scrollable.

I'm just learning how to script (read: verrrrry beginning of the curve, watching Lynda.com videos today, to start the process). Of course, my anything-is-possible determination now envisions a scrollable, resizable new window that my scanner could automatically drop new files into....

...which might be a bit "over the rainbow." ;)

• 11. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                              schamblee

There is no scanner support built-in FM.   There is a scanner plugin that you can purchase such as Insidescan http://www.powersolutions.it/en/insidescan.html    (I have not used)  

I created my own solution that works on Windows.  I have a button that starts a timer script (Looks for a file by a given path and name) then  use 'open url' to open my scan software, then I save the PDF to the location with the filename that the timer script is checking for and once the file is detected it is inserted into the container field.  I used the BaseElement plug-in to check for the existence of the file, this plugin is free.

Here is a sample that works only with the ScanSnap Scanners  http://fullcityconsulting.com/snap2fm-scanning-directly-into-filemaker-with-scansnap-scanners  This software did not work for me because I needed a flatbed scanner, but it gave me the idea of how to create my own solution.

• 12. Re: Zoom in Container opens "Replace Field Contents" panel
                                philmodjunk

Here's how to do what I suggested:

Create a second layout based on the same table.

Put one and only one field on this layout--the container field.

Remove any header or footer layout parts so that you just have the body layout part.

put the field in the upper left hand corner as far left and as far up as you can place it.

Drag the layout edges on the right and bottom left and up to be tight to the borders of the container field.

In the inspector, you'll find that the top and left auto-size anchors are selected. Select the bottom and right anchors so that all anchors are selected.

Save your layout changes and use this script to show this new window:

New Window
                                Show/Hide Status Tool bar [Hide]
                                Go to Layout ["name of new layout here" (tablename)]

Inside the New Window script step, specify a starting window size and position and use advanced window options to make this a floating document window.

You can set up this script to be run from a button on your original layout. WHen you click the button, the new window opens as specified in the New Window step and you can drag the edges of the window to resize it, the container field will expand and contract as the window re-sizes.