2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2010 12:23 PM by codethirteen

[FM Pro 11] Pre-purchase questions

codethirteen

Title

[FM Pro 11] Pre-purchase questions

Hello all,

My company has tasked me with creating a couple of features for our website (intranet with web accessible parts behind authentication) and after playing a little with the FM Pro 11 trial this seems like a good solution so far. However, I don't have very long to get these features implemented and so I was wondering if you could answer a few questions on what FM Pro 11 can and cannot do.

• I have created my database and the required relationships. Now I'm trying to create forms that will submit from a webpage to the database. Is this possible?
      • If this is possible, is it then further possible to have one form updating multiple tables based on field IDs?
      • Is it possible to have a search function of the database, within a web page, per table? 
      • Is it possible to have the tables data listed on a webpage permanently in a readable format, with live updates from the database?
      • Is it possible to have a webpage with statistics (pie charts, graphs, etc.) based on selectable options on the page itself?

I have a few more questions, but the above are the most pertinent to me right now. Another major question is obviously if FM Pro 11 isn't suitable, then should I/we be looking at another version such as FM Pro Advanced or should we possibly be looking at another piece of software elsewhere?

Finally, if FM Pro 11 is suitable, what book would you recommend for me to get stuck into to learn how to develop the above features using best practices? I've looked at Filemaker Pro 11: The Missing Manual and it looks good so far, but I wouldn't mind some more qualified opinions than my own!

Many thanks for your time in helping my company and myself come to the right decision.

• 1. Re: [FM Pro 11] Pre-purchase questions
          philmodjunk
        • I have created my database and the required relationships. Now I'm trying to create forms that will submit from a webpage to the database. Is this possible?
        •       Yes, though you either create the form using a tool such as PHP (For custom web publishing) or you simply use a layout in your database as the source of the web form (Instant Web Publishing).

• If this is possible, is it then further possible to have one form updating multiple tables based on field IDs?
        •      Yes, especially if the data entered by the user or auto-entered by the database (in response to the submitted data) establishes a valid relationship between the tables. You can use a portal for this in an instant web published layout much like you would in filemaker itsefl.

• Is it possible to have a search function of the database, within a web page, per table? 
        • Yes

• Is it possible to have the tables data listed on a webpage permanently in a readable format, with live updates from the database?
        • Do you mean in "read only" format--users can see but not modify the data? If so, then yes.

• Is it possible to have a webpage with statistics (pie charts, graphs, etc.) based on selectable options on the page itself?
        • Yes, but filemaker's built in chart features are limited and I'm not sure if they are or are not web compatible. You can, however use a charting tool (google charts I think?) with a web viewer placed on your web page.

• 2. Re: [FM Pro 11] Pre-purchase questions
            codethirteen

Phil, many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply. If anyone could fill me in on a good book, then that would complete my first post!