2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 10:08 AM by philmodjunk

[Question] Is it possible to create many-to-many relationship within a single table?

TaylorJansen

Title

[Question] Is it possible to create many-to-many relationship within a single table?

Hello. I am a new user to FileMaker. I have some experience on Microsoft Access too. My question is as the title:

Is it possible to create a many-to-many relationship within a single table?

I am thinking of a database that has a table containing all sorts of personnel infomation. Each personnel has a different role. Personnels are inter-related in terms of a few number of ways.

To simplify it, I have 3 types of personnel and they are inter-related. That forms a triangular relationship among them. The relationship gets into a circle that FileMaker does not allow.

How can I design the relationship and what additional fields I need to achieve the task?

I would like all related personnels of a particular person to be shown up on a portal for that person.

Many thanks. 

If no solution, I may need to create as many table as the number of roles the personnel might have.