4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 7:44 AM by DavisSmith

~1300 portals, ~1300 summary fields, 1 layout, can it be done?

DavisSmith

Title

~1300 portals, ~1300 summary fields, 1 layout, can it be done?

I'm creating layout with ~1300 portals. The portals are filtered to the location that I want to be displayed and then i have calculation field that goes - count(item::itemname) and then my summary field which summarizes the calculation field. I just put the summary field on a 1 row portal. I don't know if thats the proper way to do it but it seemed to work fine as I was testing it with a single portal. I started the tedious process of adding that many portals and inevitably had to leave the layout to go work on something else. When I tried to return to the layout my fm crashed as it was summarizing the field. My theory is that my summary field somehow got outside of my portal and was instead summarizing all records and thats what caused it to crash because it should only have to summarize <40 records per portal, with most of them only containing 1 record. But if what I said above is true and I just accidentally put my summary field outside of the portal, do you think fm can handle that many portals? There will be a portal for each location so in the end it will have to summarize all the records, just across multiple portals. I'm worried because it crashed just summarizing all the records in one field (or I could have accidentally put multiple summary fields outside their portals, impossible to tell).

I'm open to suggestions on an alternative way to go about this, and can explain exactly why I'm trying to put 1300 portals in 1 layout if anyone needs that info.

• 1. Re: ~1300 portals, ~1300 summary fields, 1 layout, can it be done?
          philmodjunk

This seems a completely impractical design that could take literally hours for the layout to update. Even fitting 1300 portals on one layout seems impractical just from a visual design point of view unless you use a tab or slide control to break them up into smaller more visually manageable groups.

• 2. Re: ~1300 portals, ~1300 summary fields, 1 layout, can it be done?
            DavisSmith

I have a 2d overheard image of all our locations in our yard (its a pretty large image, if thats relevant). All I want is to overlay a quantity of the items in each location and have people be able to click the quantity and have a new window popup showing the details of whats in that location; which i've got working 100% on a small scale. Can you think of any alternative design approaches to this?

• 3. Re: ~1300 portals, ~1300 summary fields, 1 layout, can it be done?
              philmodjunk

A yard with 1300 different locations? that's a not "pretty large" it's HUGE!

I'd take that image or plan of your Yard and divide it into sections and display one section at a time. Each can be a different layout with a much smaller number of one row portals. You can still use a plan or image of the entire yard, but you then click on that image to select the portion of the yard that you want to see and then click again to open the new window (or better yet, a popover) for your details.

I've considered that approach for the Family Orchard Farm where you'd tap a map of the farm to select a field and then tap a map of the field to select a specific tree...

• 4. Re: ~1300 portals, ~1300 summary fields, 1 layout, can it be done?
                DavisSmith

Dividing them and using a popover is a great idea. I'm not sure how many sections I'll have to divide it into. Based on your experience, what would be the max amount of portals that you would put on popover/layout. Can a layout hold more? Popover would look alot cleaner but if it can't hold as many portals as a layout then i'll just do the new window -> go to layout approach.