5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 11:09 AM by philmodjunk

~70 fields on a portal row.

nihmbrisby

Title

~70 fields on a portal row.

I have a portal from Products to Statuses.  I have 10 different status types with an average of 7 fields.  Each set of 7 fields only displays when the portal row is of the corresponding activity type.  So around 63 hidden fields no matter what the activity type.  Since the user does not need to input data into these fields (they only need to be able to see the data), am I better of using merge fields?  

If it has no impact on performance, I'd choose regular fields since they're easier to layout (merge field text boxes have to be as large as the merge field, whereas fields can be resized as small as I like).

• 1. Re: ~70 fields on a portal row.
          symbister

not really an answer, but more of a tip:

merge fields can be formatted so that the opening and closing chevrons are the correct font and size, all the rest can be as small as you want....

• 2. Re: ~70 fields on a portal row.
            nihmbrisby

Thank you- Wow- I've been conditionally formatting merge fields (so I could fit them in layout but have them be 12 point browse)!  

• 3. Re: ~70 fields on a portal row.
              philmodjunk

For a given product, is there never more than one activity type?

Regular fields would seem easier to work with. I only use Merge fields when I need to "flow" the data from several fields into the same block of layout text. If I want them to be "read only", I use Behavior settings on the Inspector's data tab to block access to the field when in Browse Mode.

• 4. Re: ~70 fields on a portal row.
                nihmbrisby

"For a given product, is there never more than one activity type?"

Correct.  There is never more than one type for any given product.

"Regular fields would seem easier to work with. I only use Merge fields when I need to "flow" the data from several fields into the same block of layout text. If I want them to be "read only", I use Behavior settings on the Inspector's data tab to block access to the field when in Browse Mode."

Thanks, this confirms my experience.  Think I'll stick with regular fields.

• 5. Re: ~70 fields on a portal row.
                  philmodjunk

I would definitely give thought to simplifying this part of your design:

I have 10 different status types with an average of 7 fields.  Each set of 7 fields only displays when the portal row is of the corresponding activity type.

That seems a needlessly complex system of fields.