3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 2:44 PM by philmodjunk

‘unlinking’ a looked up field

redbarn

Title

‘unlinking’ a looked up field

Hi

I have a number field which I have populated by looking up the ID from another table. Is there some way that I can now unlink the lookup (as it is now superfluous) but retain the numbers that have been imported?

Kind regards

Brendan

• 1. Re: ‘unlinking’ a looked up field
          philmodjunk

How is it looked up? If you modify data in the related table from which the values are looked up, The looked up values in the other table will not update. They'll only update if you then modify the value of the match field in the same record as the looked up value field. If you want to retain the looked up value even if you change the value of the match field, use an auto-enter calculation to look up the value and then you can select the "do not replace existing value" to only enter a looked up value if the field is empty.

• 2. Re: ‘unlinking’ a looked up field
            redbarn

Hi Phil

Thank you for your reply. I am, as you can probably gather, no Filemaker expert. So I have managed what we call here a 'bodged job' which, while not perfect, works for me currently.

I have a table called 'slidestorage' which contains an ID field, thumbnail field, container field and field path field. I also have a content management table which has objects, including these same 'slides', but also 'photos', charts' and 'clips'. By creating the relationship 'file name' to 'item title' (see attached) I have managed to synchronise the ID of both sets of 'slides'. Now that this is achieved, I no longer want that lookup as it was just to get things back in sync. However, if I delete the link I lose the ID. So I am trying to find some way of retaining the 'looked up' ID conscious that I no longer will need it.

Not sure I am explaining this very well.

Brendan

• 3. Re: ‘unlinking’ a looked up field
              philmodjunk

Then it would appear that you simply linked to the data instead of looking it up or you would not lose any data when you remove the relationship.

See this thread for a description of "looked up" data and dynamically linking to it: Auto Fill

But I don't really see any need to make such a change