1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 18, 2011 12:40 PM by philmodjunk

either a drop down that is filtered or ability to checkboxes that inputs the information into a join...

sweetcuda

Title

either a drop down that is filtered or ability to checkboxes that inputs the information into a join table

Let me start out by saying UGggg!! I have been working on this beast for some time now and everytime I think I have it designed correctly I get told by someone that I do not and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the database to do what I want. I am by no means a programmer so I need babysteps to help me through any scripting etc. Here is my issue. I have two different databases but the issue I have is basically the same for both. I need an easy input interface for selecting items that relate to another table. I will start with my first DB since it seems the simplest. I have a DB that has to track tasks completed for a training event and what team completed it. I have four tables:

Team Table

TeamID:TeamID->TrainingEvent:TeamID

TrainingEvent table

TrainingEvent:TeamID<-Team:TeamID

TrainingEvent:TrainingEventID->TrainingEvent_Task:TrainingEventID

Training Event_task Table

TrainingEvent_task:TrainingEventID<-TrainingEvent:TrainingEventID

TrainingEvent_task:TaskID<Task:TaskID

Task Table

Task:TaskID->TrainingEvent:TaskID

TaskGroup Table

TaskGroup:TaskGroupID->Task:TaskGroupID

I am trying to do a layout where I Can have the individual who is documenting the tasks completed for the training event can pick the group or limit the list of tasks to each task group and then pick from that list the tasks that go into the join table (TrainingEvent_task Table). I cannot seem to figure it out. I have tried making a second task table and make a field for TaskGroupCalc, and do a cal for each task ID but I am not hving luck. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this simple.

I tried to use a checkbox field but it enters multiple ID's in one field and I know that is not correct.

Thanks,
      Lesley