"Allow Creation of Records via Relationship" not working

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v2

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.5.8

Description of the issue

I can't get the "llow Creation of Records via Relationship" feature to work for a simple one-to-one relationships.  I do find that the delete feature works fine.

Thanks,
      Greg

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have a single one-to-one relationships between two simple tables (Product_ID = Product_ID).  I add a new record in table 1, but nothing happens in table 2.

Expected result

I would expect that when I add a record in the first table, that a related record would be created in the second table

Actual result

nothing happens

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

Workaround

Entering all the relationships by hand... what a pain!

• 1. Re: "Allow Creation of Records via Relationship" not working
          mrvodka

This is not a bug. Its intended behavior. "Allow creation of records in this table VIA this relationship". This means that you can create a record in the other table through the relationship. It does not mean that just because a new record is created in the parent table, that the child table should create a record itself too. Typically, these signs point to a possible structural issue.

• 2. Re: "Allow Creation of Records via Relationship" not working
            philmodjunk

Expanding on that...

The typical way to use the "allow creation..." option is to place a portal to the related table on a layout based on the other (Often called "Parent") table. With  this option enabled, typing data into the bottom blank line of the portal automatically creates a new record in the related table and populates any keyfields with matching values from the parent record.