"Hide object when" calculation disappears and can not be changed

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13 Advanced

Operating system version

OS X 10.9

Description of the issue

I have used the "Hide object when" feature of FM 13 on several objects. Later, the calculation will no longer appear in the inspector, but the calculation will still apply and the 'eye' still appears on the object in layout mode. I've tried entering a new calculation, but the original calculation will still apply instead of the new one.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Can not reproduce the problem consistently. It has happened to several objects of different types in different databases and layouts.

Expected result

The calculation should remain visible, editable and removable in inspector.

Workaround

Remove the object and add it again.

HIde_object.jpg

• 1. Re: "Hide object when" calculation disappears and can not be changed
          TSGal

JohnnyKrz:

Thank you for your post.

Since this issue is intermittent, it makes it that more frustrating.

The next time this occurs, write down all other applications that are currently open.  Then, close the database file and reopen.  Are you then able to modify the calculation?  If this still fails, quit and relaunch FileMaker Pro.  Open the database file and try again.  Does this work?  If not, try closing some of the other applications and try again.

Any other observations or information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the issue.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: "Hide object when" calculation disappears and can not be changed
            philmodjunk

Did you by any chance group the selectively visible object with other objects? If so, ungroup the group and then select just the individual object and you should once again be able to see and modify the "hide when" calculation.

• 3. Re: "Hide object when" calculation disappears and can not be changed
              eddiereed

TSGal, JohnnyKrz,

The issue can be reproduced.  Take a plain image (icon) with no scripts or hide calculation applied.  Apply a conditional hide calculation to the image. Then right click on the image and select "Button Setup" and associate a script or command to the image.  The hide calculation is now missing and the image thinks it is grouped (not sure if thats an error or intentional).

The work around is apply the scripts/commands to the image first, then apply the conditional hide calculation.  FileMaker Pro 13 will keep the Hide calculation correctly.

Hope this helps.

EReed

• 4. Re: "Hide object when" calculation disappears and can not be changed
                johnnykrz

EReed,

I'm sure that's exactly what happened. I tried it again; Set the hide calculation, then applied the button and the calculation disappeared. It still hides the object, but you can't see the calculation. I guess I usually do it in the correct order because I haven't really run into the problem again. Thanks!

• 5. Re: "Hide object when" calculation disappears and can not be changed
                  TSGal

Eddie Reed:

Thank you for your post.

Assuming the image was not inserted with the button tool, your observations would be correct.  You should use the button tool and select the image as the background, and then apply the Hide calculation to the button.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.