6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2009 9:57 AM by TSGal

"Open Remote" Window gets behind "Open" and inaccessible

JohnDuncan

Summary

"Open Remote" Window gets behind "Open" and inaccessible

Description of the issue

I've seen this problem before but was never able to nail it down until today.  The problem occurs when the "Open New or Existing File" dialog is displayed right after opening FileMaker Pro and you then click on the "Remote..." button.  At that point the "Open Remote File" dialog comes up in the foreground. If however while this window is in the foreground another modal foreground window pops to the front from another application (like the opening dialog from DreamWeaver CS3), when you switch back to FileMaker, the "Open New or Existing File" dialog is now in front of the "Open Remote File" dialog.  If you click on the "Remote..." button you can even get a second "Open Remote File" dialog box up but it is not fully functional.  The "Cancel button on the "Open New or Existing" can be clicked but it doesn't do anything.  Clicking on the "Open Remote File" dialog box that is in the background does not bring it to the front. The only solution that I could find was to force-quit FileMaker Pro Advanced.  I am only able to reproduce the problem with the initial "Open New or Existing File" dialog that comes up when FileMaker Pro opens, not with the "Open File" dialog that you get when you select "Open" after FileMaker is already running.  The problem with the "Open Remote" dialog dropping behind the other dialog does occur when the "Open File" dialog is up but clicking on the title bar of the "Open Remote" will bring it to the front. This problem occurred on FileMaker Pro Advanced 10.0v3 on MacOS-X 10.5.7 on a MacBook Pro with 4GB of memory.   

• 1. Re: "Open Remote" Window gets behind "Open" and inaccessible
          TSGal

John Duncan:

Thank you for your post.

I am having difficulty duplicating the problem with FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 Advanced with Mac OS X 10.5.8.  I am able to get the "Open New or Existing File" to appear in front of the "Open Remote File" dialog following your directions (either from Start up or using Open from the File menu), but the "Open File Remote" dialog has the focus, and I'm able to select it and click "Cancel".

What other FileMaker Preferences settings do you have, and I'll try to duplicate the problem here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: "Open Remote" Window gets behind "Open" and inaccessible
            JohnDuncan
               Today when I try to reproduce it I'm unable to get it to do it.  I reproduced it 3 times before I sent in the original post.  At least the screen shot shows that it can happen.  I seems to involve another application coming to (or being brought to) the front while the "Open Remote" dialog is open at the same time as the "Open New or Existing".  If I can figure out a reliable way to reproduce it I'll post a followup.
            • 3. Re: "Open Remote" Window gets behind "Open" and inaccessible
              JohnDuncan

OK, I've got it.  It appears to be timing-dependent.  Here's how to reproduce it (I used Excel 2008 but others will work).

1. Open FileMaker Pro Advanced and wait for the "Open or Existing..." window to come up.

2. This part is tricky because you have to time it right.  There is a delay after clicking the "Remote" button before the "Open Remote"

window comes up.  After clicking the "Open Remote" and before the window comes up, launch Excel 2008.

3. After Excel comes up, click on the FileMaker icon in the dock to bring it back to the front. 

• 4. Re: "Open Remote" Window gets behind "Open" and inaccessible
                TSGal

John Duncan:

Got it!  I am able to duplicate the problem.

I have tested this with Mac OS X 10.5.7, 10.5.8, and 10.6.1; all with the same results.  This does not occur with Windows XP.

I have forwarded all of your information (along with my notes) to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  I will post again when more information becomes available.  In the mean time, just be aware of this issue.

Thanks for taking the time to report this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: "Open Remote" Window gets behind "Open" and inaccessible
                  looter
                     I am seeing the same problem with Mac OS 10.6.2 and FMPA 10.0v3. I have to Force Quit FMPA 10 and relaunch to log in. I often encounter this bug while using Expose.
                  • 6. Re: "Open Remote" Window gets behind "Open" and inaccessible
                    TSGal

looter:

Thanks for your post.

At the time this was initially reported, Mac OS 10.6.1 was the current version.

Yes, I can replicate with Mac OS 10.6.2, and I have forwarded that information to the appropriate people.

Our Testing department has confirmed the problem, and it has been forwarded to Development. 

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.