9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 3:50 PM by agelb

"Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5

agelb

Summary

"Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5

Description of the issue

When I try to print  a document I get a dialogue box "Print to file" asking for a file name.  Anything I do ends up in a dead end and I can not print. In another file I have on the same computer and printer the documents in 5.5 are printing normally. Please help as the company no longer supports 5.5.  Obvioulsy I am not a high end user. Thanks.

• 1. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
          philmodjunk
             I suggest recovering the file and seeing if the recovered file will print correctly. If that fixes the problem, replace your file with a back up if possible.
          • 2. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
            agelb
               Thanks very much for responding.  When I try to recover the file I get a message "Can not open file."  I have another rile in 5.5 on the same computer that prints roblem.  The only difference is that my most recent action on the unprintable file was that I exported a document.  Could that have caused the glitch?  When I try to export a document now to see if I can print after exporting (work around?), the file can not be opened where ever I export it  to.
            • 3. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
              agelb

I was able to recover the file but I still have the same message when I try to print a document.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much.

• 4. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
                TSGal

agelb:

Thank you for your posts.

Are you able to print to the printer?  Are you able to go into Preview Mode and view how the information would be sent to the printer?  Are you specifying a page range?  Are you specifying records being browsed?  What type of computer are you running?  What version of the OS?  Any other information may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
                  agelb

Yes, I can see the page in Preview mode.  I am only trying to print one page and it looks perfect in Preview Mode.  I haven't changed any settings since it previously worked; I only tried to export a page to my desktop and when I did 2 things happened; the page on my desktop came out as nonsense and now I can not print any documents.  The print instruction is for "current record", which is always what I have done, but I get the same dialogue box; "Print to File" with the request to enter file name if I ask to print records browsed as well, or change the page range from "all" to "1-9999".  I am running a Dell Pentium 4CPU 3.2GHZ 1gb of RAM (about 3 year old desktop that has run perfectly).  My OS is Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 2 with current updates.

Also, another FileMaker Pro file I have works fine.  I did not try to export any files from it.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

• 6. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
                    TSGal

agelb:

Preview Mode always displays what is being sent to the printer for "Records Being Browsed".  Since you are printing "Current Record", the information sent to the printer could be different.  Still, FileMaker should not stop you from printing any more documents, and that may be caused by a damaged file, since as you said, this only happens with the current file; not your other database file.

I know you always use print "Current Record", but for testing purposes, I want you to FIND the one record, and go to Preview Mode.  Make sure it looks fine, and then print using "Records Being Browsed".  Does this work?

Did this file ever print correctly with "Current record" selected?  If so, do you have an old copy of the file where it did work properly?  You may want to transfer the data from the current file to the backup file.

Please keep me posted with any updates.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
                      agelb

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

When I do a find on the document and try tp print records being browsed I stil get the dialogue box "print to file" and can not print.  I get this message for all and any documents in this file.

I do not have any copies of the file.

I have other FileMaker Pro 5.5 files that print fine without problem.

This all started when I tried to export a document to email the document.  After that I get the "print to file" dialogue box every time I try to print documents in the file.

Is it possible the software or computer "thinks" I am still trying to export and am not trying to print?

I do have Norton "GoBack".  Could that be used?  I have never used it.

• 8. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
                        TSGal

agelb:

Thank you for the additional information.

I could not find a copy of FileMaker Pro 5.5.  The earliest version of FileMaker Pro that I could locate is 6.  With that loaded on my Windows XP machine, I was now able to view the printer options.

When I pull down the File menu and select Print, I receive a "Print" dialog box, that llows me to set "Records being browsed", "Current Record", and a couple of other options.

Under the "Printer" section, I can select the printer Name, and towards the bottom, there is a checkbox for "Print to file".  If I check that and click OK, I then get the "Print to File" dialog box prompting me for an Output File Name.  If I Cancel, I'm back inside the database file.  I then pull down the File menu and select Print, and I do get the "Print" dialog box again.  If I uncheck the "Print to file" option, I can then print.

I'm hoping this provides a clue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 9. Re: "Print to File" message in FileMaker 5.5
                          agelb

TS Gal

You are genious and I am an idiot.  I didn't notice the "print to file" box.  When I unchecked it everything works!

Thank you very much.

If I can do anything to reward your efforts please let me know; this is my first time doing anything like this.

AG