"Save Records as PDF" crashes FileMaker
Operating system version
Description of the issue
When I try to run "Save Records as PDF", FileMaker crashes every time.
I have culled the problem down to a database that contains 500 identical records in a table with 13 fields, and 3 global values stored in another table. The database was originally created years ago (the version that I inherited was v7.0). The 2.4 GB .fmp12 database file can easily be provided to you to reproduce the problem.
I attach a picture of the layout that I am trying to save to pdf, along with the MS crash dialog.
Steps to reproduce the problem
Run the following script in my database.
Set Variable [ $currentDate ; Value:GetCurrentDateAsSortableText() ]
Set Variable [ $currentTime; Value:GetCurrentTimeAsSortableText() ]
Set Variable [ $dateAndTime; Value:$currentDate & "_" & $currentTime ]
Enter Browse Mode
Show All Records
Set Variable [ $numRecords ; Value:Get(FoundCount) ]
Set Variable [ $fileName ; Value:"Defect_ "
& "_n" & $numRecords
& ".pdf" ]
# Generate File
Go to Layout [ “Invoices” (PLENARY) ]
[ View as List ]
Sort Records by Field [ Ascending; PLENARY::ID ]
Go to Record/Request/Page
[ First ]
Save Records as PDF [ File Name: “file:./$fileName” ; Records being browsed ]
[ Document - Compatibility: Acrobat 7 and later ]
[ Pages - Number Pages From: 1; Include: All pages ]
[ Security - Printing: High Resolution ; Editing: Any except extracting pages ; Enable copying ; Enable Screen Reader ]
[ Initial View - Show: Pages Panel and Page ; Page Layout: Default ; Magnification: Fit Page ]
[ Restore; No dialog ]
A single PDF file containing 500 pages.
FileMaker crashes; no output.
Exact text of any error message(s) that appear
I wrote a loop to save only the current record (rather than doing a one-time save of all browsed records), which results in 500 separate PDF files. I then used Adobe to combine these into one file.
The loop fails, in the same manner as this defect, about 30 times. However, I restart saving the files after the latest one that didn't fail. In this way, over many hours, I was able to create all 500 files.